[NatureNS] tree biomass fuel ... calcium loss x Red Spruce &

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 22:55:48 -0300
From: David Patriquin <patriqui@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,

&gt; -----
Hi David & Alison Webster:

I am not aware of effects of calcium addition on growth per se, but
there is experimental evidence for positive effects of calcium
addition on stress resistance, germination,  mycorrhizae etc., e.g.,
for two important species in our Acadian Forest, sugar maple and red
spruce:

--Tree Physiology 28, 855–862
Calcium addition at the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest increases
sugar storage, antioxidant activity and cold tolerance in native red
spruce (Picea rubens). JOSHUA M. HALMAN,ET AL.
"...Our results suggest that low foliar sugar concentrations and APX
activity, and reduced cold tolerance in trees in the reference
watershed contributed to their high vulnerability to winter injury in
2003."

---Ecology, 87(5), 2006, pp. 1267–1280 2006
RESPONSE OF SUGAR MAPLE TO CALCIUM ADDITION TO NORTHERN HARDWOOD FOREST
STEPHANIE M. JUICE, ET AL.
"...These results reinforce and extend other regional observations
that sugar maple decline in the northeastern United States and
southern Canada is caused in part by anthropogenic effects on soil
calcium status..."