[NatureNS] tree biomass fuel ... calcium loss also critical in NS

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 22:13:43 -0300

Hi Dave P. & All,                        Apr 14, 2013
    The usgs article reflects an astonishing detachment from reality by
starting the first line of the Abstract with "Since the discovery of acid
rain in the 1970's..". Acidic precipitation was documented at least as early
as 1852 when it was described by Robert Angus Smith.

    The question remains, has anyone demonstrated increased growth of forest
trees in response to application of Gypsum ? Or limestone for that matter.

    Soil chemistry in natural profiles can be quite baffling because it can
resemble a 4-dimensional marble cake. About 1975 I was preparing to set up a
Ca orchard trial and sampled leaves of 40 or so trees in three orchards. In
one orchard, leaf Ca was all over the map, making it useless for a Ca trial
but conceivably informative for leaf Ca to soil Ca correlations. So the
following year I sampled soil from 0-100 cm in 10 cm increments and again
sampled leaves. For starters, the soil Ca of few adjacent layers was
correlated and the leaf Ca of years 1 & 2 were poorly correlated !

    Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville