[NatureNS] Lapland/Laconia Owl Monitoring Route

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 04:13:38 +0000

--_b3e16ae8-ed24-4853-9b06-842df63b3fea_

An interesting evening for running this route with owls on 8 out of 10 stop=
s.   We missed out on owls interestingly on two of the stops that we usuall=
y get them.  One of these stops now has a trailer at the location=2C so tha=
t could be the reason.  The other stop we always have wood frogs and spring=
 peepers so loud that it is unbelievable=2C  but by that point the temperat=
ure had dropped to around freezing.  Wood frogs and spring peepers were at =
the first five stops and I suspect we would have heard them on all stops ha=
d the temperature not dropped.  As the temperature dropped the owls seemed =
to become less vocal.  I don't know if any studies have been done in respec=
ts to this observation or not.  In all we had 10 barred owls.  Most of the =
owls all except for the first stop where there were three=2C two of which w=
ere seen=2C were all more distant than is the norm on this route.   James R=
. HirtleBridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_b3e16ae8-ed24-4853-9b06-842df63b3fea_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
ing evening for running this route with owls on 8 out of 10 stops.&nbsp=3B&=
nbsp=3B We missed out on owls interestingly on two of the stops that we usu=
ally get them.&nbsp=3B One of these stops now has a trailer at the location=
=2C so that could be the reason.&nbsp=3B The other stop we always have wood=
 frogs and spring peepers so loud that it is unbelievable=2C &nbsp=3Bbut by=
 that point the temperature had dropped to around freezing.&nbsp=3B Wood fr=
ogs and spring peepers were at the first five stops and I suspect we would =
have heard them on all stops had the temperature not dropped.&nbsp=3B As th=
e temperature dropped the owls seemed to become less vocal.&nbsp=3B I don't=
 know if any studies have been done in respects to this observation or not.=
&nbsp=3B In all we had 10 barred owls.&nbsp=3B Most of the owls all except =
for the first stop where there were three=2C two of which were seen=2C were=
 all more distant than is the norm on this route.&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>J=
ames R. Hirtle<BR>Bridgewater<br id=3D"FontBreak"><BR></font> 		 	   		  </=
div></body>

--_b3e16ae8-ed24-4853-9b06-842df63b3fea_--