[NatureNS] Lapland/Laconia Owl Monitoring Route

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 11:30:11 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e0158b35acaddc904da7b36c1

Krista and I did the Fairmont (Ant. Coi.) route last night. Frogs were
barely an issue as it was about -3 oC the whole time. Three or four years
ago, I got a dozen (?) or so Barreds, GHOW and S'whets. Last year, skunked.
This year, under similarly ideal conditions as last year...skunked. Very
perplexing.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 16 April 2013 01:13, James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com> wrote:

> An interesting evening for running this route with owls on 8 out of 10
> stops.   We missed out on owls interestingly on two of the stops that we
> usually get them.  One of these stops now has a trailer at the location, so
> that could be the reason.  The other stop we always have wood frogs and
> spring peepers so loud that it is unbelievable,  but by that point the
> temperature had dropped to around freezing.  Wood frogs and spring peepers
> were at the first five stops and I suspect we would have heard them on all
> stops had the temperature not dropped.  As the temperature dropped the owls
> seemed to become less vocal.  I don't know if any studies have been done in
> respects to this observation or not.  In all we had 10 barred owls.  Most
> of the owls all except for the first stop where there were three, two of
> which were seen, were all more distant than is the norm on this route.
>
> James R. Hirtle
> Bridgewater

--089e0158b35acaddc904da7b36c1

. Frogs were barely an issue as it was about -3 oC the whole time. Three or=
 four years ago, I got a dozen (?) or so Barreds, GHOW and S&#39;whets. Las=
t year, skunked. This year, under similarly ideal conditions as last year..=
.skunked. Very perplexing.<div>

oonies of<br>Antigonish County, NS.</div>
an dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jrhbirder@hotmail.com" target=3D"_blan=
l_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left=
:1ex">

ng this route with owls on 8 out of 10 stops.=A0=A0 We missed out on owls i=
nterestingly on two of the stops that we usually get them.=A0 One of these =
stops now has a trailer at the location, so that could be the reason.=A0 Th=
e other stop we always have wood frogs and spring peepers so loud that it i=
s unbelievable, =A0but by that point the temperature had dropped to around =
freezing.=A0 Wood frogs and spring peepers were at the first five stops and=
 I suspect we would have heard them on all stops had the temperature not dr=
opped.=A0 As the temperature dropped the owls seemed to become less vocal.=
=A0 I don&#39;t know if any studies have been done in respects to this obse=
rvation or not.=A0 In all we had 10 barred owls.=A0 Most of the owls all ex=
cept for the first stop where there were three, two of which were seen, wer=
e all more distant than is the norm on this route.=A0 <br>

--089e0158b35acaddc904da7b36c1--