[NatureNS] Lapland/Laconia Owl Monitoring Route

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:18:44 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e0158b35a22ba0104da7e68b3

Thanks Ron,

I'll have to check some nest boxes this evening!

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 16 April 2013 14:16, Ronald Arsenault <rongarsenault@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Randy,
>
> This may in fact be good news.  Scott Makepeace, NB Dept. Nat. Resources
> biologist who monitors owls, told me that his work has revealed that the
> response rate of owls is actually inversely related to their nesting
> success, especially with Barred Owls, if I remember correctly.  In other
> words, owls which have settled down with nesting duties are much less
> likely to respond to a taped call than are owls who are either looking for
> a mate or whose nesting attempt has failed.
>
> Hope this cheers you up!
>
> Ron
>

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Krista and I did the Fairmont (Ant. Coi.) route last night. Frogs were
>> barely an issue as it was about -3 oC the whole time. Three or four years
>> ago, I got a dozen (?) or so Barreds, GHOW and S'whets. Last year, skunked.
>> This year, under similarly ideal conditions as last year...skunked. Very
>> perplexing.
>>
>> Randy
>>
>> _________________________________
>> RF Lauff
>> Way in the boonies of
>> Antigonish County, NS.
>>

>> On 16 April 2013 01:13, James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> An interesting evening for running this route with owls on 8 out of 10
>>> stops.   We missed out on owls interestingly on two of the stops that we
>>> usually get them.  One of these stops now has a trailer at the location, so
>>> that could be the reason.  The other stop we always have wood frogs and
>>> spring peepers so loud that it is unbelievable,  but by that point the
>>> temperature had dropped to around freezing.  Wood frogs and spring peepers
>>> were at the first five stops and I suspect we would have heard them on all
>>> stops had the temperature not dropped.  As the temperature dropped the owls
>>> seemed to become less vocal.  I don't know if any studies have been done in
>>> respects to this observation or not.  In all we had 10 barred owls.  Most
>>> of the owls all except for the first stop where there were three, two of
>>> which were seen, were all more distant than is the norm on this route.
>>>
>>> James R. Hirtle
>>> Bridgewater
>>>

> --
> Ronald G. Arsenault
> Moncton, N.B.

--089e0158b35a22ba0104da7e68b3

___________________<br>

=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padd=
ing-left:1ex">

ews. =A0Scott Makepeace, NB Dept. Nat. Resources biologist who monitors owl=
s, told me that his work has revealed that the response rate of owls is act=
ually inversely=A0related to their nesting success, especially with Barred =
Owls, if I remember correctly. =A0In other words, owls which have settled d=
own with nesting duties are much less likely to respond to a taped call tha=
n are owls who are either looking for a mate or whose nesting attempt has f=
ailed.</div>

ass=3D"gmail_quote">On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Randy Lauff <span dir=
=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:randy.lauff@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">ran=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">Krista and I did the Fairmo=
nt (Ant. Coi.) route last night. Frogs were barely an issue as it was about=
 -3 oC the whole time. Three or four years ago, I got a dozen (?) or so Bar=
reds, GHOW and S&#39;whets. Last year, skunked. This year, under similarly =
ideal conditions as last year...skunked. Very perplexing.<div>

an dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jrhbirder@hotmail.com" target=3D"_blan=
l_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left=
:1ex">

ng this route with owls on 8 out of 10 stops.=A0=A0 We missed out on owls i=
nterestingly on two of the stops that we usually get them.=A0 One of these =
stops now has a trailer at the location, so that could be the reason.=A0 Th=
e other stop we always have wood frogs and spring peepers so loud that it i=
s unbelievable, =A0but by that point the temperature had dropped to around =
freezing.=A0 Wood frogs and spring peepers were at the first five stops and=
 I suspect we would have heard them on all stops had the temperature not dr=
opped.=A0 As the temperature dropped the owls seemed to become less vocal.=
=A0 I don&#39;t know if any studies have been done in respects to this obse=
rvation