[NatureNS] Lapland/Laconia Owl Monitoring Route

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 14:16:28 -0300
From: Ronald Arsenault <rongarsenault@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--f46d043d673fa8d10604da7d87be

Hello Randy,

This may in fact be good news.  Scott Makepeace, NB Dept. Nat. Resources
biologist who monitors owls, told me that his work has revealed that the
response rate of owls is actually inversely related to their nesting
success, especially with Barred Owls, if I remember correctly.  In other
words, owls which have settled down with nesting duties are much less
likely to respond to a taped call than are owls who are either looking for
a mate or whose nesting attempt has failed.

Hope this cheers you up!

Ron

--
Ronald G. Arsenault
Moncton, N.B.

--f46d043d673fa8d10604da7d87be

good news. =A0Scott Makepeace, NB Dept. Nat. Resources biologist who monito=
rs owls, told me that his work has revealed that the response rate of owls =
is actually inversely=A0related to their nesting success, especially with B=
arred Owls, if I remember correctly. =A0In other words, owls which have set=
tled down with nesting duties are much less likely to respond to a taped ca=
ll than are owls who are either looking for a mate or whose nesting attempt=
 has failed.</div>
lass=3D"gmail_quote">On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Randy Lauff <span di=
r=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:randy.lauff@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">ra=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">Krista and I did the Fairmo=
nt (Ant. Coi.) route last night. Frogs were barely an issue as it was about=
 -3 oC the whole time. Three or four years ago, I got a dozen (?) or so Bar=
reds, GHOW and S&#39;whets. Last year, skunked. This year, under similarly =
ideal conditions as last year...skunked. Very perplexing.<div>

an dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jrhbirder@hotmail.com" target=3D"_blan=
l_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left=
:1ex">

ng this route with owls on 8 out of 10 stops.=A0=A0 We missed out on owls i=
nterestingly on two of the stops that we usually get them.=A0 One of these =
stops now has a trailer at the location, so that could be the reason.=A0 Th=
e other stop we always have wood frogs and spring peepers so loud that it i=
s unbelievable, =A0but by that point the temperature had dropped to around =
freezing.=A0 Wood frogs and spring peepers were at the first five stops and=
 I suspect we would have heard them on all stops had the temperature not dr=
opped.=A0 As the temperature dropped the owls seemed to become less vocal.=
=A0 I don&#39;t know if any studies have been done in respects to this obse=
rvation or not.=A0 In all we had 10 barred owls.=A0 Most of the owls all ex=
cept for the first stop where there were three, two of which were seen, wer=
e all more distant than is the norm on this route.=A0 <br>

senault<br>Moncton, N.B.

--f46d043d673fa8d10604da7d87be--