[NatureNS] Lapland/Laconia Owl Monitoring Route

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 13:01:28 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

sp

--001a11c37ec878762604da909a57

Hi all,

I just ran the issue by Bernard Forsythe, who probably has more experience
with nesting owls than most other people in the Province  - he tells me
that Barred and Gt. Horned Owls call when they're establishing territories
and attracting mates ( in Fall, when the young are dispersing) and
around Dec - April), the males call to announce to the female on the nest
that they have brought supper (about now) and sometimes the females reply,
and they can, but not always, respond to a taped call as if there were a
rival owl in the area at any time, but become less vocal for any reason
once the young have left the nest. I don't know about other species, but
Soren Bondrup-Nielsen in his book that discusses Boreal owls in the
Northern Ontario forests felt that that species basically stopped calling
once a pair bond had been established and mating had taken place.

My own limited experience is that on the owl survey that I do, Barred and
GH Owls are often heard during the waiting period at the beginning of the
tape, but Barred in particular will then come in closer to investigate once
the Barred Owl call has happened. Saw-whets seem to just toot away
regardless, and Gt.Horned take no notice. The Gt.Horned that are nesting
close to my home were quite vocal in Feb., but I haven't heard them since,
even though the nest is occupied. I don't think any conclusions can be
drawn from this, nor can owl behavior necessarily be applied to other
species.

Richard