[NatureNS] Fwd: Large reverse migration of Yellow-rumped Warblers

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:40:36 -0300
From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7b343d9af9080104db47dee9

These birds may have made it across to Cumberland Co., the shortest
distance from Cape Enrage being about 11 km. Or they may have turned around
out of sight. After all, he does say visibility became "essentially zero".
I feel that Stu was describing something that seemed very strange, and thus
interesting, but we don't know that it was a disaster and it most certainly
was not suicidal.
Having said that, migrating birds make fatal "mistakes" somewhat routinely.
Cheers,
Rick Whitman

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM, <duartess@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Why would this occur if this would mean their demise? Aren't migration
> patterns hard-wired into their brains? Not sure if I am asking this
> correctly.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Gayle MacLean
> Dartmouth
>
> ---- James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com> wrote:
> > interesting migration observations from naturenb (below).
> > cheers,
> > James.

ned around out of sight. After all, he does say visibility became &quot;ess=
entially zero&quot;. I feel that Stu was describing something that seemed v=
ery strange, and thus interesting, but we don&#39;t know that it was a disa=
ster and it most certainly was not suicidal.<div>
Having said that, migrating birds make fatal &quot;mistakes&quot; somewhat =
3 at 9:33 AM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:duartess@ns.sympatic=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Why would this occur if this would mean thei=
r demise? Aren&#39;t migration patterns hard-wired into their brains? Not s=
ure if I am asking this correctly.<br>

Thank you,<br>
Gayle MacLean<br>
Dartmouth<br>
---- James Churchill &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jameslchurchill@gmail.com">james=
lchurchill@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; interesting migration observations from naturenb (below).<br>
&gt; cheers,<br>
&gt; James.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; ---------- Forwarded message ----------<br>
&gt; From: Stuart Tingley &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:stubirdnb@gmail.com">stubir=
dnb@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Date: Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM<br>
&gt; Subject: Large reverse migration of Yellow-rumped Warblers off Cape En=
rage<br>
&gt; - April 25, 2013<br>
&gt; To: <a href=3D"mailto:NATURENB@listserv.unb.ca">NATURENB@listserv.unb.=
ca</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I decided to head down to Albert County in mid-morning after receiving=
 a<br>
&gt; text from Richard Blacquiere at Point Lepreau Bird Observatory with ne=
ws of<br>
&gt; a substantial loon flight there.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I arrived at Cape Enrage at 10:30am with reasonable visibility in ligh=
t fog<br>
&gt; and drizzle and strong SW winds. Within a few minutes of arriving I sa=
w a<br>
&gt; passing flock that included 630 Surf/Black Scoters and 210 Long-tailed=
&gt; Ducks. I also noted a few Red-throated Loons flying NE low over the wa=
ter<br>
&gt; and a CASPIAN TERN flew by low over the water heading northeast. But w=
hat<br>
&gt; caught my attention most was the almost constant stream of small group=
s of<br>
&gt; YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS coming from the northeast and heading out to th=
e<br>
&gt; southwest into the fog and drizzle.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Shortly after I arrived the fog and drizzle got heavier and with littl=
e<br>
&gt; visibility over the water I focussed my attention on the warbler fligh=
t and<br>
&gt; tried to keep track of numbers until I left the cape with zero visibil=
ity<br>
&gt; at 12 noon. In 90 minutes I counted 475 Yellow-rumps and only about 10=
 PALM<br>
&gt; WARBLERS, all heading SW into what seemed like a suicidal flight as th=
e<br>
&gt; drizzle became drenching and thick fog reducing visibility to essentia=
lly<br>
&gt; zero. I have little doubt that this flight began at first light and<br=

&gt; probably involved one or two thousand birds. Even when I left at noon =
I<br>
&gt; could still hear Yellow-rumps passing overhead and going southwest int=
o the<br>
&gt; thick fog.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Surprisingly I didn&#39;t see any birds turn around or come back in fr=
om the<br>
&gt; southwest - they seemed determined to go SW! In fact the only bird I s=
aw<br>
&gt; come in off the water from the southwest was larger and had me perplex=
ed<br>
&gt; until I got a good view of it - an adult male Baltimore Oriole.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Elsewhere in Albert County, the adult LITTLE BLUE HERON was easily see=
n<br>
&gt; close to Route 915 at the east end of Waterside marsh at high tide in =
early<br>
&gt; afternoon. Almost the entire salt marsh was flooded at that time.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Good Birding,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Stu Tingley<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; NatureNB guidelines =A0<a href=3D"http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbe=
.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbe.html</a><br>
&gt; Foire aux questions de NatureNB =A0<a href=3D"http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/=
maryspt/nnbf.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbf.h=
tml</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; --<br>
&gt; James Churchill<br>
&gt; Kentville, Nova Scotia<br>
&gt; Email: <a href=3D"mailto:jameslchurchill@gmail.com">jameslchurchill@gm=
ail.com</a><br>
&gt; Phone (h): <a href=3D"tel:%28902%29%20681-2374" value=3D"+19026812374"=

--047d7b343d9af9080104db47dee9--