[NatureNS] Cleridae etc.

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 17:23:52 -0300

Dear All,                            Apr 26, 2013
    Just before I left North Alton yesterday a small beetle flew over and
landed on a pile of recently chunked dead Fir firewood; dark above except
for a narrow pale band like a flying Gull halfway down the elytra and a
nearly transverse band near the tip. After being cooled in the fridge to
slow it down I could see some red on the underside of the abdomen confirming
it to be the relatively common Enoclerus nigripes var. rufiventris; now
feeding nearby in the yard.

    And a small elater came to my attention yesterday; yet to be examined.
At this time of year things happen way too rapidly.

    This afternoon I noticed a small fly on the windowscreen. From a
distance it looks like a narrow black line~9 mm long x 1 mm wide; Protarsi
very slim & nearly as long as the body, short antennae that arc forward then
back and with fine bristles at the base of each segment except the terminal
several which looks like some compound structure at 10X; bulbous eyes and
not clear even what family it belongs in. With three lichens in the fridge
waiting to be admired, the fly has been assigned to the Outdoridae.
Yt, DW, Kentville