[NatureNS] re ticks - how to avoid them?

From: bev wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:19:29 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

While we are addressing the subject of tick avoidance, I would like to hear from others regarding how to respond to bites.  Much of the literature regarding ticks say to see a doctor of bitten, or if there is redness after a bite, etc...  I posed this question on the eastern Ontario nature list last summer and received a few responses.  One of the biologist members who does a lot of field work sent a reply.  I believe he said that he and his colleagues used to just remove them and see what happened - watched for bullseye redness or any sign of illness before seeking medical attention.  That has been my own response thus far.  Most times, I have removed ticks before they had any likely opportunity to feed.  However, last spring, while camped at a tall grass prairie reserve where there was a herd of bison in southwest Missouri, I was bitten on the top of my head -- definitely not a wound site where I could watch for a reaction.  I removed the tick and soaked the spot with hydrogen peroxide then just waited to see how I felt in the coming weeks.  Probably not the most prudent or medically sophisticated way of responding, but I wasn't about to go to a U.S. clinic without good reason.  Anyhow, I am curious how others have dealt with bites - especially in situations where you are quite sure that the tick has fed for a day or two before discovery.

Bev

Sent from my iPad