[NatureNS] Hummers, TV and cuckoo flowers

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 22:51:04 -0300

Thurs May 16:

At last we have our first hummingbird coming to a feeder outside our kitchen
window.   Amazing how such a little bird gets us all excited at its return!

On my way to Coldbrook around 4:00 pm I saw a Turkey Vulture flying over
trees  north of Hwy 101, between Exits 12 and 13.

Interesting to note that Ian McKay reported a flock of Bobolinks around his
property today. There was  a small flock at the end of our driveway
yesterday. Their 'twinkling' calls are so wonderful to hear.. They
disappeared into the Elderkin orchard across the road.  We used to have them
breeding in the field next door but practise of  early harvesting cut short
their efforts, literally.

In the 'ditch' in front of a fairly large field to the west of us at 918
Wolfville Ridge,  there is a lovely mass of Cuckoo Flowers at their peak of
beauty. In the past few years these flowers have come into their own in this
location and become quite abundant.   Worth a stop with a camera.

Cheers,

Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts

 Wolfville NS