[NatureNS] Beaver antics

Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 06:35:13 -0300
From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e0122af0267a89f04df42325b

We had a similar experience with beavers on L Torment, E Dalhousie, Kings
Co last Spring. As the canoe passed the island a beaver swam out to meet it
and accompanied us for a stretch of about 100m. The beaver occasionally
slapped its tail and dove but always came up alongside the boat. It finally
left us and returned to shore when it, I guess, thought we were far enough
away to no longer pose a threat to its young.

Nancy

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 6:58 AM, <klantz@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>   I was out for a bike ride last evening and stopped near a small
> stillwater to listen for winnowing snipe. No luck with that but I soon sa=
> two beavers near their lodge about 50 meters away. They swam towards me
> almost as if expecting to be fed. At about 20 feet one slapped the water
> with it's tail and they dove but soon came back up and milled around for =
> bit. Then another tail slap and dive, one beaver resurfaced near the lodg=
> but I knew the other was still close by and I kept track of it=92s locati=
on
> by watching for air bubbles. Before long a small clump of Lily pads began
> to rise as the Beaver surfaced very slowly. It lay motionless near the fa=
> bank for several minutes, eyeballing me from under it's ridiculous Lily P=
ad
> camouflage headgear. What a wonderful photo op and of course I had left m=
> camera at home.
>
> Kevin

--089e0122af0267a89f04df42325b

, E Dalhousie, Kings Co last Spring. As the canoe passed the island a beave=
r swam out to meet it and accompanied us for a stretch of about 100m. The b=
eaver occasionally slapped its tail and dove but always came up alongside t=
he boat. It finally left us and returned to shore when it, I guess, thought=
 we were far enough away to no longer pose a threat to its young.<br>
mail_quote">On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 6:58 AM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:klantz@ns.sympatico.ca" target=3D"_blank">klantz@ns.sympatico.ca=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
ening and stopped near a=20
small stillwater to listen for winnowing snipe. No luck with that but I soo=
n saw=20
two beavers near their lodge about 50 meters away. They swam towards me alm=
ost=20
as if expecting to be fed. At about 20 feet one slapped the water with it&#=
39;s tail=20
and they dove but soon came back up and milled around for a bit. Then anoth=
er=20
tail slap and dive, one beaver resurfaced near the lodge but I knew the oth=
er=20
was still close by and I kept track of it=92s location by watching for air=
=20
bubbles. Before long a small clump of Lily pads began to rise as the Beaver=
=20
surfaced very slowly. It lay motionless near the far bank for several minut=
es,=20
eyeballing me from under it&#39;s ridiculous Lily Pad camouflage headgear. =
What a=20
wonderful photo op and of course I had left my camera at=20
div></div>

--089e0122af0267a89f04df42325b--