[NatureNS] Beaver antics

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 12:16:25 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c34da0daadb404df46f7d5

I think I would tend to give them a wide berth - a friend of mine was
cycling on a recumbent bike on the bike trail near Hubbards, a few years
ago, when one tried to attack him on the path. Recently there was an
account in the media of a man killed while trying to photograph one in
Europe - he got too close and it bit him in the thigh, severing the Femoral
artery, and he bled to death. After all, they are just mammals defending
their young and territory, and have teeth that can fell a large tree ......

Richard

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 6:35 AM, nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:

> We had a similar experience with beavers on L Torment, E Dalhousie, Kings
> Co last Spring. As the canoe passed the island a beaver swam out to meet =
it
> and accompanied us for a stretch of about 100m. The beaver occasionally
> slapped its tail and dove but always came up alongside the boat. It final=
ly
> left us and returned to shore when it, I guess, thought we were far enoug=
> away to no longer pose a threat to its young.
>
> Nancy
>

> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 6:58 AM, <klantz@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>   I was out for a bike ride last evening and stopped near a small
>> stillwater to listen for winnowing snipe. No luck with that but I soon s=
aw
>> two beavers near their lodge about 50 meters away. They swam towards me
>> almost as if expecting to be fed. At about 20 feet one slapped the water
>> with it's tail and they dove but soon came back up and milled around for=
>> bit. Then another tail slap and dive, one beaver resurfaced near the lod=
ge
>> but I knew the other was still close by and I kept track of it=92s locat=
ion
>> by watching for air bubbles. Before long a small clump of Lily pads bega=
>> to rise as the Beaver surfaced very slowly. It lay motionless near the f=
ar
>> bank for several minutes, eyeballing me from under it's ridiculous Lily =
Pad
>> camouflage headgear. What a wonderful photo op and of course I had left =
my
>> camera at home.
>>
>> Kevin

--=20
#################
Dr.R.B.Stern,
P.O. Box 300,
Port Williams,
N.S., Canada,
B0P 1T0
Richard Stern,
Port Williams, NS, Canada
sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--001a11c34da0daadb404df46f7d5

iend of mine was cycling on a recumbent bike on the bike trail near Hubbard=
s, a few years ago, when one tried to attack him on the path. Recently ther=
e was an account in the media of a man killed while trying to photograph on=
e in Europe - he got too close and it bit him in the thigh, severing the Fe=
moral artery, and he bled to death. After all, they are just mammals defend=
ing their young and territory, and have teeth that can fell a large tree ..=
....<br>

"gmail_quote">On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 6:35 AM, nancy dowd <span dir=3D"ltr"=
>&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nancypdowd@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">nancypdowd@g=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>We had a similar exper=
ience with beavers on L Torment, E Dalhousie, Kings Co last Spring. As the =
canoe passed the island a beaver swam out to meet it and accompanied us for=
 a stretch of about 100m. The beaver occasionally slapped its tail and dove=
 but always came up alongside the boat. It finally left us and returned to =
shore when it, I guess, thought we were far enough away to no longer pose a=

 6:58 AM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:klantz@ns.sympatico.ca" =

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
ening and stopped near a=20
small stillwater to listen for winnowing snipe. No luck with that but I soo=
n saw=20
two beavers near their lodge about 50 meters away. They swam towards me alm=
ost=20
as if expecting to be fed. At about 20 feet one slapped the water with it&#=
39;s tail=20
and they dove but soon came back up and milled around for a bit. Then anoth=
er=20
tail slap and dive, one beaver resurfaced near the lodge but I knew the oth=
er=20
was still close by and I kept track of it=92s location by watching for air=
=20
bubbles. Before long a small clump of Lily pads began to rise as the Beaver=
=20
surfaced very slowly. It lay motionless near the far bank for several minut=
es,=20
eyeballing me from under it&#39;s ridiculous Lily Pad camouflage headgear. =
What a=20
wonderful photo op and of course I had left my camera at=20
div></div>
ef=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.c=
om</a><br>

--001a11c34da0daadb404df46f7d5--