[NatureNS] Giant Electric Light Bug

Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 23:39:50 -0300
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------080101000403020102050105

Hi Andrew.  It is a contained pond, about 6' by 4'.  I don't know how
the water bug found it since there are no other water features in the
area (by the Halifax Shopping Centre).  I did get a couple of pictures
but it moved surprisingly fast when I tried to push it with a matchbook
to a flat rock for pictures.

The Danios do swim around.  They might not go to the surface unless I
put food there.  I take the fish out in the Fall and keep them in an
aquarium over the winter.

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 17/06/2013 10:32 PM, Hebda, Andrew J wrote:

> Technically speaking, the use their proboscis to feed on body fluids.
>
> Do the Danios stay in the open or remain in the vegetation.
>
> Andrew
>
> Is this a contained pond, or connected to a drainage?

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
        a contained pond, about 6' by 4'.&nbsp; I don't know how the water
        bug found it since there are no other water features in the area
        (by the Halifax Shopping Centre).&nbsp; I did get a couple of
        pictures but it moved surprisingly fast when I tried to push it
        with a matchbook to a flat rock for pictures.<br>
        The Danios do swim around.&nbsp; They might not go to the surface
        unless I put food there.</font>&nbsp; I take the fish out in the Fall
      and keep them in an aquarium over the winter.<br>
      Don<br>
        donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      On 17/06/2013 10:32 PM, Hebda, Andrew J wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:BB70A87CFE8B8B4597E5A9D5EDDAB6FB1CCFC2DE@AS446.prov.gov.ns.ca"
      type="cite">
        charset=ISO-8859-1">
	MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px
}
        #000000;font-size: 10pt;">
          fluids.</p>
          FONT-SIZE: 16px">
          <hr tabindex="-1">
              color="#000000" face="Tahoma"><b>From:</b>
              naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca
              [naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca] on behalf of Don MacNeill
              [donmacneill@bellaliant.net]<br>
              backyard here in Halifax city.&nbsp; It was about 2.25 inches
              long and looked like a</font> Belostomatidae water bug.&nbsp; I
            noticed that my cat was circling something in the grass, a
            short distance from my small pond.&nbsp; I'm glad she didn't try
            to eat it as they have pincers and some venom.<br>
            Now I'm worried because I've put some Zebra Danios in the
            pond to eat any mosquito larvae.&nbsp; Google says these water
            bugs eat small fish.<br>
            Don<br>
              Don MacNeill <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"