[NatureNS] Giant Electric Light Bug

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:32:10 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--20cf3074d676be155904df6ce82b

The bugs were likely attracted to your area by the parking lot lights of
the shopping centre; I've had a number of stories over the years of people
finding these bugs in such situations.

I have one in captivity here...it caught and fed upon a Mummichog longer
than it was.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 17 June 2013 23:39, Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net> wrote:

>  Hi Andrew.  It is a contained pond, about 6' by 4'.  I don't know how
> the water bug found it since there are no other water features in the area
> (by the Halifax Shopping Centre).  I did get a couple of pictures but it
> moved surprisingly fast when I tried to push it with a matchbook to a flat
> rock for pictures.
>
> The Danios do swim around.  They might not go to the surface unless I put
> food there.  I take the fish out in the Fall and keep them in an aquarium
> over the winter.
>
> Don
>
> Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
> On 17/06/2013 10:32 PM, Hebda, Andrew J wrote:
>
>  Technically speaking, the use their proboscis to feed on body fluids.
>

> Do the Danios stay in the open or remain in the vegetation.
>

> Andrew
>

> Is this a contained pond, or connected to a drainage?

>  ------------------------------

 lot lights of the shopping centre; I&#39;ve had a number of stories over t=
v style>

I have one in captivity here...it caught and fed upon a Mummichog longer th=
=3D"gmail_extra"><br clear=3D"all"><div>_________________________________<b=
r>

n dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net" target=3D"_=
s=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;pad=
ding-left:1ex">

 =20
   =20
 =20
        a contained pond, about 6&#39; by 4&#39;.=A0 I don&#39;t know how t=
he water
        bug found it since there are no other water features in the area
        (by the Halifax Shopping Centre).=A0 I did get a couple of
        pictures but it moved surprisingly fast when I tried to push it
        with a matchbook to a flat rock for pictures.<br>
        The Danios do swim around.=A0 They might not go to the surface
        unless I put food there.</font>=A0 I take the fish out in the Fall
      and keep them in an aquarium over the winter.<br>
      Don<br>
      On 17/06/2013 10:32 PM, Hebda, Andrew J wrote:<br>
     =20
     =20
          fluids.</p>
          <hr>
ma"><b>From:</b>
lank">naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca</a>
              [<a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_=
blank">naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca</a>] on behalf of Don MacNeill
              [<a href=3D"mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net" target=3D"_bla=
nk">donmacneill@bellaliant.net</a>]<br>
              backyard here in Halifax city.=A0 It was about 2.25 inches
              long and looked like a</font> Belostomatidae water bug.=A0 I
            noticed that my cat was circling something in the grass, a
            short distance from my small pond.=A0 I&#39;m glad she didn&#39=
;t try
            to eat it as they have pincers and some venom.<br>
            Now I&#39;m worried because I&#39;ve put some Zebra Danios in t=
he
            pond to eat any mosquito larvae.=A0 Google says these water
            bugs eat small fish.<br>
            Don<br>