[NatureNS] White Point Birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 12:22:44 -0300

Things are still happening here in our yard but have slowed a lot. There are
still two Tree swallow nests active, one over the grapevine should have
fledglings in the next couple days as both parents come and go frequently
and we hear peeps getting louder daily. The other, at the barn, is a
solitary bird for the most part, with another bird that shows once in awhile
and leaves immediately. With the heat I fear for the young if they hatch. We
haven't  had a failure at that location so I am hoping against hope the bird
has success. Surprising that one gets so attached to these visitors.
 The starlings periodically make a raid but can't seem to get into it far
enough to do damage. The Hairy woodpecker was pounding away on it the other
day and Swallow let it know she was not amused! too funny.
There are still birds being brought out. A song sparrow brought a fresh one
with it this morning. It still expects to be fed, the adult says get the
hang of it and soon!!
Yesterday and the evening before we had three vireos (Philadelphia, I think)
working away in the Grapevine/kiwi combo on the step. Took awhile to find
what they were but I sat on the step with the books and watched. The books
says they are plain and dull but I disagree.
Momma Squirrel brought out three babies this week and the Blue Jay young are
having fun chasing them through the maples and pines. I am not sure who is
hunting whom but it makes for some interesting viewing, when I am
procrastinating with my studio work.
The White breasted Nuthatches are still busy. I'm thinking their nest is in
the maple beside the drive but seems to me they must have young out of it or
maybe they have renested. The second couple I haven't seen for a week or
now.
The tiny Hummingbirds held close to the fir tree outside out our livingroom
window for a day or two. I'm thinking maybe their nest was washed out. One
comes to the feeder now and is a bit larger but I haven't seen the second
one now in a full day and half so fear it has been done in. There is so much
murder and mayhem out there.
Last evening I watched 7 night hawks fly over. At the same time there seemed
to be an emergence of a goodly number of dragonflies. I counted 30 plus!
They were just above the barn roof height.
Best regards,
Marg Millard,
White Point, Queens

http://MargMillard.ca