[NatureNS] White Point Birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 21:30:52 -0300

As the sun set this evening we are alive with hummingbirds. Earlier in the
day I went to my sisters' around the corner and  closer to the shore and the
feeders there were swamped with birds. She had stated earlier in the week
her birds, of which there were two or three, had moved on she thought. There
was a lull at my feeders since the males left last Sunday. Just a female
with a couple juveniles and an occasional male coming through.  By mid week
things began to pick up and the two feeders, just the not quite 2 cup sized
ones,  need filling every day, today it was two full feeders emptied and
another fill. There are hummingbirds jostling for stations all over the
place! I lost track at my sisters at 17, I think. She has two larger feeders
out, one with 8 ports and another with four.  I refilled the 8 porter this
evening and the traffic really picked up. Usual ratio 4 x 1.
Here the count is 9 birds at the  one 4 port feeder so easy to count when
they are lined up. , at one feeder over the honeysuckle. I can hear them
still and it is quite dark. I've had them arrive in big numbers once but
this is the largest leave taking I have seen in 22 years. Over this past
week we have had a new chipmunk come out all dewy and fresh and so shy.
Another Blue Jay brought out 4 young yesterday late pm, and there are
juvenile Goldfinches. Nuthatches have moved off. I think there were 7 young
all totaled. There are still swallows flying over head from time to time.
There were several young that the tree swallows managed to fledge. One was a
month behind but she kept at it.
No sign of the flickers since last weekend. Haven't even heard them. Still a
Robin about although it isn't accompanied by the juvenile it brought out
last week. I fear it met with a bit of a nasty end. There has been a hawk
hunting  the area. Bigger and heavier than a Sharpie. I am not good with
them. Many of the sparrows have moved off as have the Juncos. One day the
yard was full of the very young then again  Sunday, they all left.
Pleased to say I saw a couple bats over the past week, 10 days  but none for
the past couple. Two were quite small but one was a larger one. I was
looking for meteors. They were down at the street light by the driveway
entrance.  Guess that is about all,
Best regards, Marg Millard, White Point, Queens

http://MargMillard.ca