[NatureNS] Rosa multiflora on the go

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 22:21:23 -0300

Hi Marg & All,                                July 9, 2013
    Birds are most likely the only means by which it travels over any
distance. And birds, on any bushes I have noticed, eat every last hip so
they must appreciate them and I suspect a tangle of these vines must deter
hawks who might attack these birds if they were feeding in the open.

    So the best way to slow the spread of this rose would be something along
the lines of a bug zapper. As a Modest Proposal, flame throwers, set up in
good patches of Multiflora Rose, that fired when a bird landed in the scorch
zone should eventually control the spread of the Rose and of course control
the birds that spread the Rose.

    Walking in woods that have many thickets of this Rose is not fun but if
these relatively open regrowth woods ever become real forests then the Rose
will become sparse there.

    In my experience it is relatively easy to kill this plant if you just
use good technique. By cutting it back, nearly to the ground, in late August
(when weak Poplar root suckers start to lose leaves) I have killed or
seriously weakened vigorous stands in one year.

    Natural forces will in time slow this plant, even in the open.

    But I am a fan of thornless Multiflora Rose (it has thorns but they are
loose and shed early in development). There is a large one in back of the
'garden;' (now weed patch) that I have encouraged by cutting the thorned
clones back (when I remember). This plant would be less difficult to live
with if the thornless clone became the norm; control selectively because it
may breed true to form.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville