[NatureNS] Fw: Hundreds of Cliff Swallows in Portuguese Cove

Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 21:21:14 -0300
From: David McCorquodale <dbmcc09@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001a11c36be88437fb04e20ea7fc

Hans, Blake et al.

I would expect it is another flying insect rather than mosquitoes.  We
notice a lot of mosquitoes because they are attracted to us.  However most
mosquitoes sit and wait on vegetation until a potential food source gets
their attention.  Many other insects swarm and could attract swallows.
Ants (many species in NS) swarm and I suspect they have been and still are
an important source for aerial insectivores.  Aquatic insects such as
mayflies (and yes some species are flying now in July), and caddisflies are
a couple more options.  Those would be my first three guesses.

If anyone could either photograph or collect the insects that are
attracting the swallows it would be of great value.  One of the constraints
in understanding the decline of swallows such as Barn Swallows, Bank
Swallows and Cliff Swallows is that we know relatively little about what
foods they eat through the few months they spend in NS.  Given there are
10,000 plus species of insects in NS, just knowing they eat insects does
not provide much understanding.

Saw my first Common Nighthawk of the fall migration at Cape Breton
University as the big thunderstorm lit up the sky yesterday evening (20
July 2013).  I suspect that ants seeking mates are a major source of food
for nighthawks through the next month or so.  But this is speculation
rather than solid observation.  Can someone disprove my idea?

DBMcC

David McCorquodale
Georges RIver, NS

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM, Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote:

> **

lake et al.</span><br style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Times"><br styl=
e=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Times"><span style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);fo=
nt-family:Times">I would expect it is another flying insect rather than mos=
quitoes.=A0 We notice a lot of mosquitoes because they are attracted to us.=
=A0 However most mosquitoes sit and wait on vegetation until a potential fo=
od source gets their attention.=A0 Many other insects swarm and could attra=
ct swallows.=A0 Ants (many species in NS) swarm and I suspect they have bee=
n and still are an important source for aerial insectivores.=A0 Aquatic ins=
ects such as mayflies (and yes some species are flying now in July), and ca=
ddisflies are a couple more options.=A0 Those would be my first three guess=
es.</span><br style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Times">
,0,0);font-family:Times">If anyone could either photograph or collect the i=
nsects that are attracting the swallows it would be of great value.=A0 One =
of the constraints in understanding the decline of swallows such as Barn Sw=
allows, Bank Swallows and Cliff Swallows is that we know relatively little =
about what foods they eat through the few months they spend in NS.=A0 Given=
 there are 10,000 plus species of insects in NS, just knowing they eat inse=
cts does not provide much understanding.</span><br style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0=
);font-family:Times">
,0,0);font-family:Times">Saw my first Common Nighthawk of the fall migratio=
n at Cape Breton University as the big thunderstorm lit up the sky yesterda=
y evening (20 July 2013).=A0 I suspect that ants seeking mates are a major =
source of food for nighthawks through the next month or so.=A0 But this is =
speculation rather than solid observation.=A0 Can someone disprove my idea?=
,0,0);font-family:Times">DBMcC</span><br><br style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font=
-family:Times"><span style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Times">David McC=
orquodale</span><br style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Times">
Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM, Hans Toom <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"ma=
ilto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca</a>&gt;=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

nk.ca" href=3D"mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">Hans Toom</a=
>=20
ahoogroups.com" target=3D"_blank">NS-RBA</a> </div>
iv>
a=20
Bird Society listing. Blake gave Leona my phone number and I went over=20
immediately, a 30 second drive. There are Cliff Swallows by the hundred haw=
king=20
mosquitoes around the high ground at the top of Camperdown Road so go up=A0=
to=20
the top