[NatureNS] mayfly eyes

Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 19:43:52 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Your pic is nice but not high enough magnification to see the detailed
structure of the eyes, even more alien-looking than you may think.

At least in some male mayflies, the eye is conspicuously bi-lobed,
with the upper half optically quite different than the lower half and
probably specialized for spotting females (this has been studied in
other insects, mostly flies).

The facets in the upper eye in some mayflies are square, not hexagonal
as they are in the lenses of the lower eye.  Square facets in other
arthropods (crustaceans) have reflecting layers inside, lining their
square optical tubes, and behave like 2-Dimensional retroreflectors to
focus light usefully inside the eye into a single image.  The mayfly's
upper eye therefore possibly may work similarly.  The biological
structures are somewhat analogous to the retroreflectors left on the
moon by astronauts.  The moon ones have been used to reflect back
laser pulses aimed from earth, allowing for instance the earth-moon
distance to be monitored sensitively.
Steve