[NatureNS] BirdTunes app comments

Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 20:07:49 -0300
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------080504060402080304030603

I have an app called Shazam.  You hold your device up to the radio and
in a few seconds it tells you the name of the tune and who is singing it
(it uses iTunes library to check against).

If an app can do that, than I would think that it would be easy to
develop a library of bird songs and check out a song against it. There
is great variabilty of course in birds' songs and they vary by
location.  At least they should be able to narrow the song to one or two
species.

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 28/07/2013 5:58 PM, Nancy P Dowd wrote:
> There is an app being developed at the U of Wisconsin (i think) called
> WeBird that is supposed to do just that. You record the sound on your
> smartphone to digitize it and it is sent to a server for ID. Must use
> WIFI or cellular data to do this. Not all of my birding locales have
> cellular service (ie Camp in E Dalhousie). But that should improve
> with time.
>
> Google "WeBird" for some further info. The posts I read were dated
> 2010. Should be out by now.
>
> Nancy
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2013-07-28, at 9:39 AM, james simpson <desolatechair@gmail.com
> <mailto:desolatechair@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if there are any apps that will capture a song and
>> identify it's bird source?
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 7:21 AM, nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com
>> <mailto:nancypdowd@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     A few comments on the BirdTunes app (birdsong identifying) available
>>     from the iTunes store and other places.
>>
>>     If you already have the excellent Sibley's app you will already have
>>     all of the songs/calls included on the BirdTunes one.
>>
>>     Its only advantage is the sonograms are shown for each vocalization
>>     which some may find helpful for clarifying and comparing songs or
>>     being a memory aid. I do. But unless you do, I would not bother
>>     to buy
>>     this.
>>
>>     Nancy

--------------080504060402080304030603

  <head>
  </head>
        called Shazam.  You hold your device up to the radio and in a
        few seconds </font>it tells you the name of the tune and who is
      singing it (it uses iTunes library to check against).<br>
      If an app can do that, than I would think that it would be easy to
      develop a library of bird songs and check out a song against it.
      There is great variabilty of course in birds' songs and they vary
      by location.  At least they should be able to narrow the song to
      one or two species.<br>
      Don<br>
        donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      On 28/07/2013 5:58 PM, Nancy P Dowd wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:2683A469-BA7B-4DE2-BA6F-AA785815EEC9@gmail.com"
      type="cite">
        think) called WeBird that is supposed to do just that. You
        record the sound on your smartphone to digitize it and it is
        sent to a server for ID. Must use WIFI or cellular data to do
        this. Not all of my birding locales have cellular service (ie
        Camp in E Dalhousie). But that should improve with time. </div>
        dated 2010. Should be out by now. </div>
        Sent from my iPhone</div>
        On 2013-07-28, at 9:39 AM, james simpson &lt;<a
          moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:desolatechair@gmail.com">desolatechair@gmail.com</a>&gt;
        wrote:<br>
            capture a song and identify it's bird source?  <br>
              nancy dowd <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="mailto:nancypdowd@gmail.com" target="_blank">nancypdowd@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
              wrote:<br>
                .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">A few
                comments on the BirdTunes app (birdsong identifying)
                available<br>
                from the iTunes store and other places.<br>
                If you already have the excellent Sibley's app you will
                already have<br>
                all of the songs/calls included on the BirdTunes one.<br>
                Its only advantage is the sonograms are shown for each
                vocalization<br>
                which some may find helpful for clarifying and comparing
                songs or<br>
                being a memory aid. I do. But unless you do, I would not
                bother to buy<br>
                this.<br>
                    Nancy<br>

--------------080504060402080304030603--