[NatureNS] BirdTunes app comments

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 07:42:27 -0300
From: james simpson <desolatechair@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c1fb4c08b7fa04e2a4269f

Don

Was thinking along same lines.  We Shazam and well so the technology seems
to be there.

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 8:07 PM, Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>wrote:

>  I have an app called Shazam.  You hold your device up to the radio and
> in a few seconds it tells you the name of the tune and who is singing it
> (it uses iTunes library to check against).
>
> If an app can do that, than I would think that it would be easy to develop
> a library of bird songs and check out a song against it.  There is great
> variabilty of course in birds' songs and they vary by location.  At least
> they should be able to narrow the song to one or two species.
>
> Don
>
> Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
> On 28/07/2013 5:58 PM, Nancy P Dowd wrote:
>
> There is an app being developed at the U of Wisconsin (i think) called
> WeBird that is supposed to do just that. You record the sound on your
> smartphone to digitize it and it is sent to a server for ID. Must use WIFI
> or cellular data to do this. Not all of my birding locales have cellular
> service (ie Camp in E Dalhousie). But that should improve with time.
>
>  Google "WeBird" for some further info. The posts I read were dated 2010.
> Should be out by now.
>
>  Nancy
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2013-07-28, at 9:39 AM, james simpson <desolatechair@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>   I'm wondering if there are any apps that will capture a song and
> identify it's bird source?
>

> On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 7:21 AM, nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A few comments on the BirdTunes app (birdsong identifying) available
>> from the iTunes store and other places.
>>
>> If you already have the excellent Sibley's app you will already have
>> all of the songs/calls included on the BirdTunes one.
>>
>> Its only advantage is the sonograms are shown for each vocalization
>> which some may find helpful for clarifying and comparing songs or
>> being a memory aid. I do. But unless you do, I would not bother to buy
>> this.
>>
>> Nancy

--001a11c1fb4c08b7fa04e2a4269f

 well so the technology seems to be there.<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_ext=
 MacNeill <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.ne=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
        called Shazam.=A0 You hold your device up to the radio and in a
        few seconds </font>it tells you the name of the tune and who is
      singing it (it uses iTunes library to check against).<br>
      If an app can do that, than I would think that it would be easy to
      develop a library of bird songs and check out a song against it.=A0
      There is great variabilty of course in birds&#39; songs and they vary
      by location.=A0 At least they should be able to narrow the song to
      one or two species.<br>
      Don<br>
      On 28/07/2013 5:58 PM, Nancy P Dowd wrote:<br>
     =20
        think) called WeBird that is supposed to do just that. You
        record the sound on your smartphone to digitize it and it is
        sent to a server for ID. Must use WIFI or cellular data to do
        this. Not all of my birding locales have cellular service (ie
        Camp in E Dalhousie). But that should improve with time.=A0</div>
d were
        dated 2010. Should be out by now.=A0</div>
        Sent from my iPhone</div>
        On 2013-07-28, at 9:39 AM, james simpson &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:deso=
latechair@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">desolatechair@gmail.com</a>&gt;
        wrote:<br>
            capture a song and identify it&#39;s bird source?=A0 <br>
              nancy dowd <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nancypdowd=
@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">nancypdowd@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
              wrote:<br>
border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">A few
                comments on the BirdTunes app (birdsong identifying)
                available<br>
                from the iTunes store and other places.<br>
                If you already have the excellent Sibley&#39;s app you will
                already have<br>
                all of the songs/calls included on the BirdTunes one.<br>
                Its only advantage is the sonograms are shown for each
                vocalization<br>
                which some may find helpful for clarifying and comparing
                songs or<br>
                being a memory aid. I do. But unless you do, I would not
                bother to buy<br>
                this.<br>
                    Nancy<br>