[NatureNS] Pictou-Antigonish birding yesterday, July 31

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 11:13:12 -0300

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all

Gisele D'entrement and Judy O'Brien came up to New Glasgow for a birding
visit yesterday, July 31. By the time we got going, it was getting late in
the morning and my intention was to go to Big I., but both Judy and Gisele
expressed a desire to see Mourning Warbler. I had been monitoring a few over
the last couple of months so a site I knew not far off the route in the
James R.(Ant.) area became our first visit, arriving at 10:15. I was not
sure if the birds breeding in the area would still be present or not.

We spent just under 2 hours hiking  and slow driving along a short few km.of
Strathglass Rd. with surprisingly not bad results for breeding birds still
present. Maybe it was the alders along the stream that kept a good supply of
food for the warblers, but we ended up with a nice little list of 32 species
including 10 species of warbler. We managed our target species of Mourning
Warbler but not an adult bird but a first fall (male, I think) which was a
most co-operative bird posing for about 5 min for photos. Most warblers and
kinglets were family groups.

Despite a rather hot afternoon, we ended up with about 70 species for the
day outing with a modest showing of shorebirds at the east end of Big I.
causeway and at Lower Barney's River. Somewhat unexpected was an Eastern
Kingbird along the road at the east-end fields of Big I. Results have been
posted to ebird. The Strathglass Rd. list is below for anyone interested.

We also noted a few patches of Purple-fringed Orchid in a couple of spots
and most dominant butterflies were Great-spangled Fritillary, Common Wood
Nymph and Clouded Sulphurs nothing new documented for any of the squares.

cheers
Ken

Strathglass Rd., Pictou, CA-NS
31-Jul-2013 10:15 AM - 12:05 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 kilometer(s)
Comments:     with Gisele D'entremont and Judy O'Brien
32 species

Red-tailed Hawk  2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  3
Northern Flicker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Alder Flycatcher  6
Least Flycatcher  3
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  3
Blue Jay  2
Black-capped Chickadee  4
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  4
American Robin  8
Cedar Waxwing  5
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Mourning Warbler  1     first fall male?, photographed
Common Yellowthroat  4
American Redstart  4
Northern Parula  8
Magnolia Warbler  4
Blackburnian Warbler  2
Yellow Warbler  1
Chestnut-sided Warbler  2
Black-throated Green Warbler  2
Song Sparrow  3
Swamp Sparrow  3
White-throated Sparrow  3
Dark-eyed Junco  2
Common Grackle  4
American Goldfinch  6
Evening Grosbeak  1

View this checklist online at

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3
(http://ebird.org/canada)