[NatureNS] Silent or migrating warblers

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 11:43:27 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1133fb549c67ed04e2e3de25

Hi,

We may just be in that doldrum period between when the adult birds are
nesting and using all their energy to feed the young instead of singing,
calling and being territorial, and when the young are starting to fly and
migrate. I have experienced excellent numbers of warblers and other
woodland birds on Brier Island and Blomidon Provincial Park in early
morning in mid to late August in past years - mostly young migrants. July
is usually the quiet period in the woods. In general, also, numbers of
woodland birds - in particular neo-tropical migrants, are declining, so
it's likely that quiet periods will continue to get quieter with time.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--001a1133fb549c67ed04e2e3de25

od between when the adult birds are nesting and using all their energy to f=
eed the young instead of singing, calling and being territorial, and when t=
he young are starting to fly and migrate. I have experienced excellent numb=
ers of warblers and other woodland birds on Brier Island and Blomidon Provi=
ncial Park in early morning in mid to late August in past years - mostly yo=
ung migrants. July is usually the quiet period in the woods. In general, al=
so, numbers of woodland birds - in particular neo-tropical migrants, are de=
clining, so it&#39;s likely that quiet periods will continue to get quieter=
 with time.</div>

ass=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM, David &amp; Alison Web=
ster <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com" target=3D"=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi Nancy &amp; All, =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Aug 1, 2013<br>
=A0 =A0I rarely hear birds because my hearing is damaged but when ants swar=
m and then rain into trees I hear the clamor clearly; birds follow the ant =
showers.<br>
=A0 =A0I wonder if the sudden silence reflects ants swarming elsewhere ?<br=

=A0 =A0Two ant nests in the yard that I checked yesterday seemed deserted. =
One that I checked this morning has many winged ants.<br>
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville<br>
----- Original Message ----- From: &quot;Nancy P Dowd&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"=
mailto:nancypdowd@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">nancypdowd@gmail.com</a>&gt;=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div class=3D"h5">
I noticed a big difference this week compared to last. The woods are very s=
ilent. The most obvious absence is the Parulas. They were everywhere 7 days=
 ago, singing, but I have heard not one these past few days. Ditto for Oven=
birds, Yellow-Rumps, Redstarts, B&amp;Ws, Magnolias and Black Throated Blue=
 Warblers. All I am hearing is Yellowthroats and a few Bl Throated Greens i=
n the warbler world.<br>

E Dalhousie, Kings Co is very inland. Basically at the intersection of King=
s, Annapolis and Lun Counties. Do the warblers move to more peripheral area=
s now or are they just silent?<br>
Anyone noticing related changes in other locations?<br>
Nancy<br>
Sent from my iPhone<br>
-----<br>
No virus found in this message.<br>