[NatureNS] Silent or migrating warblers

From: Andrew Horn <aghorn@dal.ca>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 14:48:48 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-96--212345862

Hi all,

Research on this period when songbird family groups are breaking up, and =
youngsters wandering all over, is one of the coolest areas in =
ornithology right now, as people use new tracking technology to finally =
figure out what's going on during what's probably the least-understood =
part of a songbird's life.

And some of the best work on this is being done right here in Nova =
Scotia, by Phil Taylor's lab at Acadia. A link to their most recent =
paper, on young Myrtle and Blackpoll Warblers in Newfoundland, is here: =
http://www.openculture.com/?p=3D71882 =20

Much of the report is quite technical, but it's fairly easy to get the =
jist of what was done and the sorts of things people are finding.

Cheers,
Andy

On Aug 1, 2013, at 11:43 AM, Richard Stern wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> We may just be in that doldrum period between when the adult birds are =
nesting and using all their energy to feed the young instead of singing, =
calling and being territorial, and when the young are starting to fly =
and migrate. I have experienced excellent numbers of warblers and other =
woodland birds on Brier Island and Blomidon Provincial Park in early =
morning in mid to late August in past years - mostly young migrants. =
July is usually the quiet period in the woods. In general, also, numbers =
of woodland birds - in particular neo-tropical migrants, are declining, =
so it's likely that quiet periods will continue to get quieter with =
time.
<dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:
> Hi Nancy & All,                            Aug 1, 2013
>    I rarely hear birds because my hearing is damaged but when ants =
swarm and then rain into trees I hear the clamor clearly; birds follow =
the ant showers.
>=20
>    I wonder if the sudden silence reflects ants swarming elsewhere ?
>=20
>    Two ant nests in the yard that I checked yesterday seemed deserted. =
One that I checked this morning has many winged ants.
<nancypdowd@gmail.com>
very silent. The most obvious absence is the Parulas. They were =
everywhere 7 days ago, singing, but I have heard not one these past few =
days. Ditto for Ovenbirds, Yellow-Rumps, Redstarts, B&Ws, Magnolias and =
Black Throated Blue Warblers. All I am hearing is Yellowthroats and a =
few Bl Throated Greens in the warbler world.
>=20
> E Dalhousie, Kings Co is very inland. Basically at the intersection of =
Kings, Annapolis and Lun Counties. Do the warblers move to more =
peripheral areas now or are they just silent?
>=20
> Anyone noticing related changes in other locations?
>=20
> Nancy
>=20
> Sent from my iPhone
>=20
>=20
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
07/31/13
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> #################
> Richard Stern,=20
> Port Williams, NS, Canada
> sternrichard@gmail.com
> ###################

--Apple-Mail-96--212345862

-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Hi =
groups are breaking up, and youngsters wandering all over, is one of the =
coolest areas in ornithology right now, as people use new tracking =
technology to finally figure out what's going on during what's probably =
the least-understood part of a songbird's =
being done right here in Nova Scotia, by Phil Taylor's lab at Acadia. A =
link to their most recent paper, on young Myrtle and Blackpoll Warblers =
in Newfoundland, is here:&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://www.openculture.com/?p=3D71882">http://www.openculture.com/=
is quite technical, but it's fairly easy to get the jist of what was =
done and the sorts of things people are =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
that doldrum period between when the adult birds are nesting and using =
all their energy to feed the young instead of singing, calling and being =
territorial, and when the young are starting to fly and migrate. I have =
experienced excellent numbers of warblers and other woodland birds on =
Brier Island and Blomidon Provincial Park in early morning in mid to =
late August in past years - mostly young migrants. July is usually the =
quiet period in the woods. In general, also, numbers of woodland birds - =
in particular neo-tropical migrants, are declining, so it's likely that =
quiet periods will continue to get quieter with time.</div>

class=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM, David &amp; =
Alison Webster <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com"=

.8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi Nancy &amp; All, =
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; =
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Aug 1, 2013<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp;I rarely hear birds because my hearing is damaged but when =
ants swarm and then rain into trees I hear the clamor clearly; birds =
follow the ant showers.<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp;I wonder if the sudden silence reflects ants swarming =
elsewhere ?<br>
&