[NatureNS] Common Gull and lots of shorebirds

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 02:52:03 +0000

--_df45e169-d71f-4d5b-b2cf-700fd614855b_

I did a shorebird survey today at Conrad's Island in Lower Rose Bay.  I had=
 an adult common gull there.  I at first  thought about common=2C but just =
brushed my initial gut feeling off to a ring-billed gull as I see them ther=
e quite often.  When looking at the gull I thought that it looked more ange=
lic then a ring-billed and noticed a dark eye rather than the type of an ey=
e that I would see in a ring-billed gull.  I was viewing the gull at relati=
vely close range through the scope at 20X power.  The gull itself was no mo=
re than 30 feet from me or so.  I then noticed the gull in flight and there=
 was extensive white at the end of the primaries.  Later on the way back in=
 I noticed the gull take off again and double-checked the wings.  Again a l=
arge white area at the wing tips and really obvious through both my binocul=
ars and without them. I should have grabbed a shot with my camera=2C but I'=
m not sure if it would have done the job to cinch the id.  I actually did n=
ot think about it until after the fact.  My camera is good for butterflies =
and dragonflies and that sort of thing=2C but very poor for birds.  Maybe K=
evin Lantz or one of the other photographers in the area will get chance to=
 get a shot of the bird if it sticks around.  I'll send a listing of the sh=
orebirds tomorrow evening when time allows.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater
 		 	   		  =

--_df45e169-d71f-4d5b-b2cf-700fd614855b_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
rebird survey today at Conrad's Island in Lower Rose Bay.&nbsp=3B I had an =
adult common gull there.&nbsp=3B I at first&nbsp=3B thought about common=2C=
 but just brushed my initial gut feeling off to a ring-billed gull as I see=
 them there quite often.&nbsp=3B When looking at the gull I thought that it=
 looked more angelic then a ring-billed and noticed a dark eye rather than =
the type of an eye that I would see&nbsp=3Bin a ring-billed gull.&nbsp=3B I=
 was viewing the gull at relatively close range through the scope at 20X po=
wer.&nbsp=3B The gull itself was no more than 30&nbsp=3Bfeet from me or so.=
&nbsp=3B I then noticed the gull in flight and there was extensive white at=
 the end of the primaries.&nbsp=3B Later on the way back in I noticed the g=
ull take off again and double-checked the wings.&nbsp=3B Again a large whit=
e area at the wing tips and really obvious through both my binoculars and w=
ithout them.&nbsp=3BI should have grabbed a shot with my camera=2C but I'm =
not sure if it would have done the job to cinch the id.&nbsp=3B I actually =
did not think about it until after the fact.&nbsp=3B My camera is good for =
butterflies and dragonflies and that sort of thing=2C but very poor for bir=
ds.&nbsp=3B Maybe Kevin Lantz or one of the other photographers in the area=
 will get chance to get a shot of the bird if it sticks around.&nbsp=3B I'l=
l send a listing of the shorebirds tomorrow evening when time allows.<BR>&n=
bsp=3B<BR>James R. Hirtle<BR>Bridgewater<br id=3D"FontBreak"><BR></font> 		=

--_df45e169-d71f-4d5b-b2cf-700fd614855b_--