[NatureNS] Aggressive Hummingbitd

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 13:26:27 -0300
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------010907030806040605030705

4 parts water, 1 part sugar.  Do you think I am making it hyperactive
like children who get too much sugar? :>)

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 09/08/2013 7:36 AM, Hebda, Andrew J wrote:
> Out of curiosity, how strong a sugar solution are you using?
>
> Andrew

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
        part sugar</font>.&nbsp; Do you think I am making it hyperactive like
      children who get too much sugar? :&gt;)<br>
      Don<br>
        donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      On 09/08/2013 7:36 AM, Hebda, Andrew J wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:BB70A87CFE8B8B4597E5A9D5EDDAB6FB1CD44C18@AS446.prov.gov.ns.ca"
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">Out of curiosity, how strong a sugar solution are you using?

Andrew

I bought and hung out a hummingbird feeder about a week ago. Yesterday a
hummingbird fed from it and decided to stake out its territory.  It
chased away Black-capped Chickadees that were feeding at a sunflower
feeder that was 20 feet away fram the hummingbird feeder.  It chased a
House Sparrow from my backyard.  It dove at a Downy Woodpecker but
stopped about a foot from it and flew back to a bush.  Interestingly,
the woodpecker froze as it normally does when danger threatens.  It was
quite a while before the woodpecker resumed feeding at the peanut feeder.

I hope the dog-in-the-manger hummingbird doesn't succeed in keeping the
whole yard for itself.

Don
--
Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net