[NatureNS] Colourful Caddisfly- correct ID?

From: Steve Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 02:25:23 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-2-607049001
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Hi Dave and Nancy, others,
re Dave's point, the real question is, what are the practical
alternatives to identifying specimens, where there are large numbers
of species as with many insects?  There are a smallish number of
professional taxonomists in Canada and USA, most/all of whom
specialize in particular families or a bit higher, but their mandate
is not to identify specimens for the public, and they do it as a
favour even for other professionals who need an ID.   So you are not
going to get definitive specimen IDs to the bugs that Nancy or
Jeannie turn up fairly regularly on this list, from them: they
normally would require a number of pinned specimens sent to them
first hand for meticulous checking, as Dave implies, but are normally
too busy to spend much time on this, and then only for a directed
reason.

One alternative is to find a published key for the group, but these
are often in academic journals or books that may not be accessible,
or even exist, or be old and incomplete.  But it is much worse than
that.  You will need to know or learn the names of the many cuticular
plates and bristle types on the body, otherwise 'pilose episternum'
won't mean anything as a fork in identification -- real hair shirt
stuff.   I agree with Nancy that I'd rather look at images.

The other alternatives are several sites with images that you can
fairly easily compare to your insect (very good for syrphids and deer
flies in E. Canada, for instance), and for small easier groups like
butterflies, there's the excellent and comprehensive Butterflies of
NS site.  After that, the wide-ranging BugGuide is actually
excellent, and, as far as mistakes are concerned, it actually has a
self-correcting process of review by insiders and outside
professionals and collectors, though this is not instantaneous.  It
is possible just to browse BugGuide and look for a match to your
specimen, but that's not the best way.  If you really have little
idea what something is, the trick is to join BugGuide (for free) and
you then can upload 1-3 images of your bug (under the heading of
'insect for identification', or something like it).  This then gets
worked over preliminarily by someone there and if others in the
system disagree, this is brought up as comments until the best guess
at the ID is known; if the image is too poor or ambiguous, someone
will say so.   If you browse through a large group like I just did
(syrphid flies, huge number of images), you will find a very few mis-
sorts (that is, not syrphids).  Not sure why that is, but if you open
such an image it usually is identified correctly, as a non-syrphid.
The refinement process happens because expert people regularly troll
through images in their general area and supply one-liner suggestions
on an ID -- you can regularly find the world expert on lower
Brachycera's name on comments, and that of the w.e. on jumping bugs
in another area, and the serious collectors are often just as good.
The psychology is curious, that these people are prepared to spend a
bit of of time browsing regularly through groups and offering
corrections or confirmations, where they would take much more
trouble, and much more time, with a small number of a pinned species
on their desk.   In the first case, they may feel that their
professional reputation is not in question, but in the second, they
will have to attach an ID tag bearing their name to the insect pin
that defines what it is, so reputation is much more on the line.

The best method is to join BugGuide then upload images for ID, and
not just browse and look for occasional mistakes.
Steve (Halifax)