[NatureNS] Western Sandpiper, Crescent Beach, Lun. Co

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 20:22:34 -0300
Cc: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Early this morning among thousands of waders (most of them Semi Plovers) piling up
ahead of the rising tide at Crescent Beach I found only a few peep, including only tens of
Semi Sandpipers and a single Least! But among the Semi Sandpipers was one that was
slightly larger; had a slightly longer body profile; had a very long bill, stout at the base and
finer at the dip, that drooped conspicuously; and that fed in a distinctive head-down, tail up
manner that was different from the flatter-bodied feeding attitude of the Semis.

In nearly all respects it seemed to be a Western Sandpiper (no, it wasn't a mis-ID'd White-
rump, a classic error), but I was puzzled by its uniform brownish colour, somewhat
scalloped, but apparently lacking the contrast between reddish scapulars and the brownish
mantle and covert feathers. In the past I have found very fresh immature Westerns to have
a pale and uncontrasty head, palish brown body, and very striking reddish scapulars. These
birds really stand out.

But a bit of reading reveals that immature Westerns begin their body molt very early and
can loose some of those classic features, including the scapular colour, within the first few
weeks, bringing them closer in colour and pattern but not in structure to immature Semis.

This immature Western Sandpiper was very instructive to study both in the field and at my
desk.

Eric L. Mills
286 Kingsburg Road,
RR#1, Rose Bay, NS B0J 2X)