[NatureNS] Plant ID assistance please

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 17:00:52 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_1890843==.ALT

Blake,

         I think that the low-lying shrub is Northern Honeysuckle aka
or Mountain Fly-Honeysuckle, Lonicera villosa.  It has opposite
leaves, typical of the genus, and the bluish-green leaves suggest the
species. This species does grow along the coast: I think the first
place I ever saw it was just behind the beach at Hartlen's Point.  It
can be quite variable.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

At 08:31 AM 07/08/2013, you wrote:
>Hi folks;
>
>I photographed a number of plants during our exploration of the
>Seaside Adjunct last Monday.  I have not put a firm ID on three of them.
>
><http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakemaybank/9458594008/>http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakemaybank/9458594008/
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakemaybank/9458589030/
><http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakemaybank/9455833059/>http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakemaybank/9455833059/
>
>The first was a low-lying shrub growing on a rocky barachois
>beach.  The second was an orchid beneath Black Spruce.  The third is
>a goldenrod, which I guess is Canada Goldenrod, but I hope for a
>confirmation.
>
>Can anyone assist me?
>
>--
><mailto:bmaybank@gmail.com>Blake Maybank
>White's Lake, Nova Scotia
>
>My Blog:  <http://blakemaybank.com>CSI: Life

--=====================_1890843==.ALT

<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I think
that the low-lying shrub is Northern Honeysuckle aka or Mountain
Fly-Honeysuckle, Lonicera villosa.&nbsp; It has opposite leaves, typical
of the genus, and the bluish-green leaves suggest the species. This
species does grow along the coast: I think the first place I ever saw it
was just behind the beach at Hartlen's Point.&nbsp; It can be quite
variable.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
At 08:31 AM 07/08/2013, you wrote:<br>
I photographed a number of plants during our exploration of the Seaside
Adjunct last Monday.&nbsp; I have not put a firm ID on three of
them.<br><br>
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakemaybank/9458594008/</a><br>
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blakemaybank/9458589030/</a><br>
The first was a low-lying shrub growing on a rocky barachois beach.&nbsp;
The second was an orchid beneath Black Spruce.&nbsp; The third is a
goldenrod, which I guess is Canada Goldenrod, but I hope for a
confirmation.&nbsp; <br><br>
Can anyone assist me?<br>
-- <br>
Maybank</a><br>