Long rant: Re: [NatureNS] comment re Empty Forests

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 21:25:41 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_178B_01CE97A2.7F7C6D00

Hi Mary & All,                                    Aug 12, 2013
    More on this later but I can't let this pass without taking a swipe =
at it because, in my view, it is dangerously simplistic to attribute =
such declines to pesticide dependent monocultures and especially roundup =
ready crops which is after all an herbicide.=20

    This decline has been underway here for 70 years or more and for a =
host of reasons that all fall through one funnel; environmental =
destruction, fragmentation and degradation. It is not realistic to beat =
the crap out of something delicate, using the power of steam or the =
internal combustion engine, for 7 decades and expect no effect.=20

    The one essential ingredient has been the explosive growth in =
private automobile usage since WW2; here and in the USA. This runs the =
gamut from bugs, amphibia, reptiles, mammals & birds becoming road kill =
to the cancerous, destructive growth of surburbia and the associated =
obliteration of habitat, air quality & water quality. Where, a mere 40 =
years ago, narrow roads with tadpole-friendly roadside puddles ran =
through woodland we now have residential-friendly wider roads with deep =
ditches that run red in the spring directly into streams.=20

    Certainly pesticides were involved but one should not place all of =
the blame on 10% of the cause.=20

    But as Fred observed this has been a strange year. In addition, =
fewer birds in the woods may reflect more birds at feeders. There has =
been no shortage of Deer Flies in the woods recently. But I was =
astonished recently to see no Andrenid activity on a large sand bank =
that is normally peppered with about 3 holes per dm^2.=20

    One other thing Mary, the statement that " These pesticides are 1000 =
times as strong as DDT and bio magnify." conveys nearly zero meaning. =
Many early pesticides were soluble in lipids and consequently became =
concentrated up the food chain. Surely the industry has not repeated =
that mistake.=20

    Or are the fund-raisers drawing on outdated information ?

    And lastly, undisturbed woodland in general is not a good habitat =
for insects that feed on flowers, especially flowers of disturbed =
habitats. There will be lots of insects that feed on wood in various =
ways but they tend not to move much in the daytime. In season, and in =
somewhat open woodland, there will be insects that feed on flowers of =
plants such as Cornus alternifolia, Prunus serotina, Prunus virginiana, =
Amelanchier, Diervilla lonicera, Hieracium. ..., but insects associated =
with Solidago and other plants that need more sunlight are more likely =
to be seen in woodland that has been selectively cut or clearcut in =
small patches recently. I am no birder but have many times noticed bird =
activity to increase from near zero in undisturbed forest to high in =
nearby disturbed areas.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

   =20

----- Original Message -----=20