[NatureNS] Re: Unknown "brain" fungus

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 17:57:32 -0300
From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>,

Jim Wolford kindly passed the pictures on to a fungi person who made
me look closer for a more definitive identity. See his explanation
below.

When I zoom in the pictures on my iPhone there are definitely "fleshy
teeth" present on the underside. So Shelving Tooth (Climacodon
septentrionale) it most likely is. MushroomExpert.com states "
Climacodon septentrionale is the name used by some mycologists.
Steccherinum septentrionale is a synonym" which clears up the genus
name differences.

BTW Jim. The location and other details are in the captions at the
bottom of the photos. Lots of people forget to look there.

Thanks everyone for the help with this, Nancy