[NatureNS] comment re Empty Forests

From: "Hebda, Andrew J" <HEBDAAJ@gov.ns.ca>
To: "'naturens@chebucto.ns.ca'" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 17:58:35 +0000

ze:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&
--_000_BB70A87CFE8B8B4597E5A9D5EDDAB6FB1CD7BB7FAS446provgovnsc_

Hi Lance

Not having had a chance to read it through, but I did my masters on Ecologi=
cal impacts of broad-scale pesticides (back before the days the field was n=
amed ecotoxicology) and  find the statement you quote as a bit odd.

Just because it is a fungicide and is registered for that use does not mean=
 it will not impact other elements within ecosystems.

For purposes of registering a chemical for a specific use, there was a requ=
irement for extensive efficacy testing as well as a standard suite of toxic=
ological testing   (usually involving species such as a salmonid, Japanese =
quail, Daphnia spp  etc... ) These data would be used to determine LD50s an=
d 96hrs LC 50 etc - the basic toxicological data  to ensure they did not ca=
use excessive impacts on non-target elements.   So each formulation of a fu=
ngicide and herbicide (as well as insecticide) undergoes this form of evalu=
ation.  If these toxicological effects are within acceptable ranges, then t=
he compounds usually are processed for registration for use. (this is aside=
 from the mutagenic and teratogenic evaluations)

There was, and to the best of my knowledge,  no evaluation of the resulting=
 1st or second order degradation products in an environmental matrix.

So just because it is formulated for one purpose does not mean it does not =
have an effect on other ecological components, but with  that proper (valid=
ated) toxicological assessment, these effects would be within ranges consid=
ered acceptable for that purpose by the Regulators.  Keep in mind, that thi=
s applies to the primary active ingredient in a formulated product. In many=
 cases, the carriers, surfactants and other fillers are proprietary, and ar=
e (were) not evaluated.

Getting a complete understanding of all potential effects of introduction o=
f a "foreign" compound into an ecosystem has always been parallel to taking=
 apart a large paper-wasp's nest, 1 square cm at a time, while the workers =
were still building it.   A slow and painful procedure.

Andrew
(from my previous research background, not my current occupation)