[NatureNS] comment re Empty Forests

From: Lance Laviolette <bibmrs@hotmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 23:24:30 -0300

97d"&gt;&lt;u&gt;&lt;/u&gt;
--_78ec8002-a25e-4f9d-952c-d3bf99dd43a4_

Hi Andrew=2C
=20
The quote comes from an author (a junior author=2C I stand corrected David)=
 not by me. I included it because a comment was made in an earlier email ab=
out fungicide effects versus pesticide targets. The author is expressing th=
e opinion that=2C at least in the USA=2C the effects of fungicides on non-t=
arget organisms and processes in the environment are not fully appreciated.=
 Your comments seem to support his general position concerning the fact tha=
t there are unanticipated environmental effects.=20
=20
Coming back to Blake's original observation of a lack of insects=2C a measu=
re of insect abundance has existed since the internal combustion engine beg=
an powering wheels. The simple car windshield transect survey. Most people =
reading this have undoubtedly observed a many-fold reduction in the number =
of insects that get smeared on their windshield driving a familiar stretch =
of road in the summer then there would have been even ten years ago. I had =
zero tonight on a 70km suppertime drive=2C half of which is through agricul=
tural land. Conditions were clear and about 24C.
=20
All the best=2C
=20
Lance