[NatureNS] comment re Empty Forests

Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 22:39:17 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

font-family:"Tahoma"=2C"
On 8/14/2013 10:24 PM, Lance Laviolette wrote:

> Coming back to Blake's original observation of a lack of insects, a
> measure of insect abundance has existed since the internal combustion
> engine began powering wheels. The simple car windshield transect
> survey. Most people reading this have undoubtedly observed a many-fold
> reduction in the number of insects that get smeared on their windshield
> driving a familiar stretch of road in the summer then there would have
> been even ten years ago. I had zero tonight on a 70km suppertime drive,
> half of which is through agricultural land. Conditions were clear and
> about 24C.

* I suspect that the streamlining of cars has gotten much subtler over
this period - see question 5 of http://pinicola.ca/rd_ecol_10_quest.pdf

24 April 2008: Canada: Ontario: York Region: Scarborough: Toronto Zoo
Administration Building. 30M/14, UTM 17TPU 459 538.5 43.82534N
79.18533W. TIME: 0821. AIR TEMP: 13 ca, sunny, calm. HABITAT:naturalized
campus on oldfields & ravines. OBSERVER: Frederick W. Schueler, Matt G.
Keevil. 2008/052/c, arrival (event). museum, drive. Ontario Road Ecology
Stewardship Symposium & Habitat Connectivity Workshop. As we drove in
along Highway 401, Matt wondered whether cars or Bats kill more Insects,
and about the influence of car design on rate of kill of Insects. We
were impressed by the lack of dead Insects on the windshield of this
rented car (especially in contrast to the slaughter on the vertical
windows of Matt's Jeep), but we saw that its low vertical radiator and
front had caught quite a number of them.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad