[NatureNS] comment re Empty Forests

From: "Hebda, Andrew J" <HEBDAAJ@gov.ns.ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 09:36:07 +0000

--_000_BB70A87CFE8B8B4597E5A9D5EDDAB6FB1CD7BD00AS446provgovnsc_

Thanks  Lance

The topic has always been of interest to me... Back in the 1980s, I decided=
 to go back to University to work toward an Doctorate.  The topic was evalu=
ating the differences in forest ecosystem structure between sites that had,=
 essentially , been treated annually for suppressing spruce pests (budwroms=
) for up to 50 years, with control sites.

This was based non the observation that at such sites there appeared to be =
a much greater incidence of |snags| than untreated sites  I had hypothesize=
d that these treated sites were shifting more toward bacterial and fungal d=
ecomposers as opposed to ones that were kick-started by mechanical decompos=
ers such as Cerambysics, buprestids, and sawflies.

Unfortunately the funds I had managed to line up were pulled during the fir=
st budget cycle of the Mulroney administrattion, so I did not pursue it.

Andrew