[NatureNS] more on tent caterpillars vs. fall webworms --

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 22:30:52 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_16845484==.ALT

         I saw a severe infestation of Army Worms in Riding Mountain
National Park (Manitoba)  in 2001, and I will never forget it.  The
air was filled with the sound of the caterpillars munching leaves -
as pervasive a sound as Spring Peepers.  It was impossible to walk on
the trail to the observation platform at Lake Audy to see the Bison
without stepping on writhing masses of them, crunching underfoot.

         Ugh.

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

At 11:35 AM 17/08/2013, you wrote:
>I would like to add that the Forest Tent Caterpillars are known as
>"Army Worms" in the west, primarily Sask & Manitoba. If you have not
>encountered them when abundant, it is difficult to conceive the
>spectacles of them covering buildings, roads, & "marching" across crop fields.
>Angus
>

>----------
>From: jimwolford@eastlink.ca
>Subject: [NatureNS] more on tent caterpillars vs. fall webworms --
>was re spanworms -- was Choke Cherries
>Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 01:37:00 -0300
>To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>
>At the risk of confusing you readers further: Of our two species of
>tent caterpillars, only one is a tent-former.  Malacosoma americanum
>is the Eastern Tent Caterpillar, and the caterpillars communally
>spin a tent of silk in a crotch between two or more branches, not in
>the foliage.  But the Forest Tent Caterpillar, Malacosoma disstria,
>is mostly found as solitary larvae; however, it/they are known to
>march communally and to aggregate on tree-trunks, but never form a
>tent or silken nest.
>
>Cheers from Jim the Other, in Wolfville.
>
>Jim Edsall wrote on Aug. 15/13:
>
>No. Tent Caterpillers occur in spring and  early summer, the two
>species are Malacasoma disstria and Malacasoma americana. They are
>Lasiocampids closely related  to the silkmoths. The Fall Webworm
>occurs in  late summer. the species is Hyphantria cunea a Tiger Moth
>(Arctiidae)
>
>Jim Edsall
>Dartmouth, N.S.
>check out my website at
><http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/jim.edsall/>http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/jim.edsall/

--=====================_16845484==.ALT

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I saw a severe
infestation of Army Worms in Riding Mountain National Park
(Manitoba)&nbsp; in 2001, and I will never forget it.&nbsp; The air was
filled with the sound of the caterpillars munching leaves - as pervasive
a sound as Spring Peepers.&nbsp; It was impossible to walk on the trail
to the observation platform at Lake Audy to see the Bison without
stepping on writhing masses of them, crunching underfoot. <br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Ugh.<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
At 11:35 AM 17/08/2013, you wrote:<br>
Forest Tent Caterpillars are known as &quot;Army Worms&quot; in the west,
primarily Sask &amp; Manitoba. If you have not encountered them when
abundant, it is difficult to conceive the spectacles of them covering
buildings, roads, &amp; &quot;marching&quot; across crop fields.<br>
Angus<br>
&nbsp;<br>
<hr>
At the risk of confusing you readers further: Of our two species of tent
caterpillars, only one is a tent-former.&nbsp; Malacosoma americanum is
the Eastern Tent Caterpillar, and the caterpillars communally spin a tent
of silk in a crotch between two or more branches, not in the
foliage.&nbsp; But the Forest Tent Caterpillar, Malacosoma disstria, is
mostly found as solitary larvae; however, it/they are known to march
communally and to aggregate on tree-trunks, but never form a tent or
silken nest. <br><br>
Cheers from Jim the Other, in Wolfville.<br><br>
Jim Edsall wrote on Aug. 15/13:<br>
<dl><br>

<dd>No. Tent Caterpillers occur in spring and&nbsp; early summer, the two
species are Malacasoma disstria and Malacasoma americana. They are
Lasiocampids closely related&nbsp; to the silkmoths. The Fall Webworm
occurs in&nbsp; late summer. the species is Hyphantria cunea a Tiger Moth
(Arctiidae)<br><br>

<dd>Jim Edsall <br>

<dd>Dartmouth, N.S.<br>

<dd>check out my website at <br>