[NatureNS] Chimney swift count in Truro

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 13:18:22 -0300
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001a1135e1f631bdbb04e43b2c1e

I agree Lois, I spoke to the town engineer when I was looking for a place
to release mine and he vaguely remembered being told in the past about the
swifts. The more people that know about them the more likely to be public
outcry if they harm that chimney. I know they have to gut the inside of the
building to prepare for a new use, but someone needs to advocate for not
altering that chimney.
Helene
On Aug 17, 2013 9:33 PM, "Lois Codling" <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Concerning the Chimney Swifts in the Normal College chimney in Truro, for
> those in the area, please be aware that a decision will be made very soon
> regarding whether the building will be used for the Public Library or not.
>  If it is, renovations and additions will have to be made.  Will this
> affect the chimney and the Swifts which roost there?  It would be a shame
> to lose a whole colony at a time when the species is at risk.  Now is the
> time to do something about it and make the situation known publicly.
>
> Lois Codling
>
> On 08/08/2013 11:25 PM, Helene Van Doninck wrote:
>

>> Tonight we watched 112 chimney swifts go into the Normal College chimney
>> between 8:20 & 8:39. We have 5 nestlings in rehabilitation and hope to
>> release them into that colony next week. Fingers crossed. Highest
>> maintenance patients ever!
>> Helene

--001a1135e1f631bdbb04e43b2c1e

e to release mine and he vaguely remembered being told in the past about th=
e swifts. The more people that know about them the more likely to be public=
 outcry if they harm that chimney. I know they have to gut the inside of th=
e building to prepare for a new use, but someone needs to advocate for not =
altering that chimney. <br>

Helene</p>
; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca">loiscodling@hfx.eastli=
nk.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quo=
te" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"=

Concerning the Chimney Swifts in the Normal College chimney in Truro, for t=
hose in the area, please be aware that a decision will be made very soon re=
garding whether the building will be used for the Public Library or not. =
=A0If it is, renovations and additions will have to be made. =A0Will this a=
ffect the chimney and the Swifts which roost there? =A0It would be a shame =
to lose a whole colony at a time when the species is at risk. =A0Now is the=
 time to do something about it and make the situation known publicly.<br>

Lois Codling<br>
On 08/08/2013 11:25 PM, Helene Van Doninck wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Tonight we watched 112 chimney swifts go into the Normal College chimney be=
tween 8:20 &amp; 8:39. We have 5 nestlings in rehabilitation and hope to re=
lease them into that colony next week. Fingers crossed. Highest maintenance=
 patients ever!<br>

Helene<br>

--001a1135e1f631bdbb04e43b2c1e--