[NatureNS] Dec 2010 Populus windfall

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 21:50:04 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0168_01CE9C5C.E5674E00

Dear All,                            Aug 18, 2013
    Today I chunked and split part of two Populus tremuloides (Poplar) =
windfalls in North Alton; Dec 2010 vintage. Except for the first 6' or =
so, which had a trace of sour sap, the wood and bark of the larger tree =
resembled a freshly cut live tree; no leaves in 2013 but perhaps leaves =
in 2012. Yellow jackets were attracted by the sour sap and moved on when =
I finished splitting that.=20
    The smaller tree had some wood rot low down when it went over, to =
judge from the way the trunk split near the ground, but most was sound =
but discolored except for one small length where the inner bark was wet =
and had started to decay; tiny elongate Scolytidae (pronotum slightly =
ovate in dorsal view and half as long as elytra) were present in this =
section in envelope shaped chambers in the sapwood, dimensions based on =
two that happened to fall on a split estimated to be 2-4 mm tangential, =
1 cm radial and 1.5 cm axial accessed by a 2 mm diameter horizontal hole =
near the middle. I don't recall having seen these previously (have split =
about 60 cord of Poplar here). This tree, to judge from the dry =
condition of most bark, was dead or nearly dead when it went over.=20

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

------=_NextPart_000_0168_01CE9C5C.E5674E00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV>Dear All,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Aug=20
18, 2013</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Today I chunked and split part of two =
<EM>Populus=20
tremuloides </EM>(Poplar)&nbsp;windfalls in North Alton; Dec 2010 =
vintage.=20
Except for the first 6' or so, which had a trace of sour sap, the wood =
and bark=20
of the larger tree&nbsp;resembled a freshly cut live tree; no leaves in =
2013 but=20
perhaps leaves in 2012. Yellow jackets were attracted by the sour sap =
and moved=20
on when I finished splitting that. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The smaller tree had some wood rot low down when =
it went=20
over, to judge from the way the trunk split near the ground, but most =
was sound=20
but discolored except for one small length where the inner bark was wet =
and had=20
started to decay; tiny elongate Scolytidae (pronotum slightly ovate in =
dorsal=20
view and half as long as elytra) were present in this section in =
envelope shaped=20
chambers in the sapwood, dimensions based on two that happened to fall =
on a=20
split estimated to be 2-4 mm tangential, 1 cm radial and 1.5 cm axial =
accessed=20
by a 2 mm diameter horizontal hole near the middle. I don't recall =
having seen=20
these previously (have split about 60 cord of Poplar here). This tree, =
to judge=20
from the dry condition of most bark, was dead or nearly dead when it =
went=20
over.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville</DIV>