Ironweed was Re: [NatureNS] bumblebee identity -- was Miner's

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 22:24:17 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_1316718==.ALT

Steve,

         I don't know Vernonia here.  Your description of "small
purple thistle-like heads" sounds to me like Centaurea nigra, aka
Common Knapweed. ( It looks as though it should be prickly, but
isn't.)   It's also apparently known as Ironweed
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedouglascampbellshow/4291536452/)
though I've never heard it called that here.  It is in the same genus
as the garden flower known as Batchelor Buttons.  I've always known
that knapweed was attractive to insects, especially butterflies.  I
think on the Payzants' field trips we always expected to find
fritillaries on the knapweed.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

At 06:10 PM 18/08/2013, you wrote:
>Yesterday we visited Mt Uniacke House grounds again ...

>This species was less interested in goldenrod (everywhere, but some
>flowers now are fading) than in what my daughter says is 'ironweed',
>which I initially assumed would be an alternative name for Angus's
>'jewelweed', but not so.  Jewelweed is apparently Impatiens spp, with
>pretty pink flowers, while the very abundant stuff that these bees
>were visiting does look like the ironweed found on-line, with small
>purple thistle-like heads, Vernonia spp., of a different family.

>Steve (Halifax)

--=====================_1316718==.ALT

<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I don't
know Vernonia here.&nbsp; Your description of &quot;small purple
thistle-like heads&quot; sounds to me like Centaurea nigra, aka Common
Knapweed. ( It looks as though it should be prickly, but
isn't.)&nbsp;&nbsp; It's also apparently known as Ironweed
(<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedouglascampbellshow/4291536452/" eudora="autourl">
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedouglascampbellshow/4291536452/</a>)
though I've never heard it called that here.&nbsp;  It is in the same
genus as the garden flower known as Batchelor Buttons.&nbsp; I've always
known that knapweed was attractive to insects, especially
butterflies.&nbsp; I think on the Payzants' field trips we always
expected to find fritillaries on the knapweed.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
At 06:10 PM 18/08/2013, you wrote:<br>
less interested in goldenrod (everywhere, but some&nbsp; <br>
flowers now are fading) than in what my daughter says is
'ironweed',&nbsp; <br>
which I initially assumed would be an alternative name for Angus's&nbsp;
'jewelweed', but not so.&nbsp; Jewelweed is apparently Impatiens spp,
with&nbsp; <br>
pretty pink flowers, while the very abundant stuff that these bees&nbsp;
were visiting does look like the ironweed found on-line, with small&nbsp;
purple thistle-like heads, Vernonia spp., of a different family.<br><br>
...<br><br>
Steve (Halifax)<br>