[NatureNS] bumblebee identity

Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 14:56:09 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Angus,
Thanks for narrowing the bumblebee search to Bombus ternarius and B.
rufocinctus.

On the way to Hall's Harbour yesterday, we stopped in at the Mt
Uniacke House grounds briefly for me to check for diagnostic thoracic
markings you had indicated, and I later checked on BugGuide.net to
clarify what you meant by the difference.  From the images there, the
buff band of hairs over the prothoracic area is similar in both
species and did not look to be readily diagnostic.  In B. rufocinctus,
the central patch on the dorsal mesothorax is black, while the buff
hairs behind this zone (over the metathorax) form a more or less
continuous band across the metathorax.  In B. ternarius, the black
zone is similar, but a strip of black continues back through the
mid-dorsal  metathoracic zone, so that there appear to be two lateral
buff zones at the back of the thorax, not one, now separated by a
central black line. Do the differences in pattern just described agree
with your views?

All four bumblebees that I examined clearly conformed to the latter
description, and so identified themselves as B. ternarius, which you
indicated is much more common locally in your experience.  Regarding
my earlier description as 'small', the four I measured roughly with a
ruler were 11-13 mm long, but the bees in the wild visiting the
knapweed bend at both ends and so look a bit smaller still.  There
were a lot of these flying again yesterday in the sunshine around 2
PM, along with several Virginia Ctenucas (red thoracic zone rather
than the yellow of Jeannie's similar moth, identified just now by Bev).

For those interested in bristletails, Petrobius brevistylis (that's
probably just me), disconcertingly, we failed to find any last year in
a couple of visits to HH, and wondered if they had been extinguished
locally by over-collecting.  Perhaps this was just a weather thing on
the days of those visits, though: yesterday, happily, they were
distributed very widely along the bases of the cliffs in the seepage
zones, present probably in the 1000s, ranging from medium to large in
size. These will all disappear into fissures in the cliffs for a long
hibernation and probably for egg-laying, surprisingly early, in
September.

Steve (Hfx)