[NatureNS] Palmeter Woods

From: Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:50:15 -0200

--_befdd35d-888f-4dd0-a827-afbbbd919126_

Due to the temp. (34C in the shade=3B EC on their Kentville site give the h=
umidity as 39% which is a laugher as it was difficult to breathe today)=2C =
I decided a walk in Palmeter Woods should be considerable better than anywh=
ere else.

=20

At the outset of the trail=2C there were ~ 8 Least Skippers=2C 1 Copper=2C =
(yet to check my photo)=2C some day-flying moths=2C a few paper wasps. Once=
 entering the wooded area I heard 1 woodpecker drumming (I'm guessing Downy=
)  & another bird that gave three shrill calls in a row which I did not rec=
ognize. I noted one fly (Tashinid) until I reached the end of the wooded ar=
ea (~40-45 mins brisk walk). There is a glade just before that point where =
there were a number of Tall Fringed Orchids on which a single bee (Bombus v=
agans) was nectaring. Shortly thereafter I found a Pelecinid Wasp on the gr=
ound but which quickly flew up to a branch & then disappeared.

=20

At the large pond at Seven Bridges=2C I could not find a single odonate. Th=
is is usually an excellent place to find both dragonflies & damselflies. Th=
ere was however a nest of Yellowjackets=3B I did not tarry!!

=20

Will there be a bird migration this fall or will they just trickle through?=
 Time will tell.

Angus=20
 		 	   		  =

--_befdd35d-888f-4dd0-a827-afbbbd919126_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
de=3B EC on their Kentville site give the humidity as 39% which is a laughe=
r as it was difficult to breathe today)=2C I decided a walk in Palmeter Woo=
ds should be considerable better than anywhere else.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At the outset of the trail=2C there were ~ 8 Least Skippers=2C&nbsp=3B1 Cop=
per=2C&nbsp=3B(yet to check my photo)=2C some day-flying moths=2C a few pap=
er wasps.&nbsp=3BOnce entering the wooded area I heard 1 woodpecker drummin=
g (I'm guessing Downy)&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&amp=3B another bird that gave three =
shrill calls in a row which I did not recognize. I noted one fly (Tashinid)=
 until I reached the end of the wooded area (~40-45 mins brisk walk). There=
 is a glade just before that point where there were a number of Tall Fringe=
d Orchids on which a single bee (Bombus vagans) was nectaring.&nbsp=3BShort=
ly thereafter I found a Pelecinid Wasp on the ground but which quickly flew=
 up to a branch &amp=3B then disappeared.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At the large pond at Seven Bridges=2C I could not find a single&nbsp=3Bodon=
ate. This is usually an excellent place to find both dragonflies &amp=3B da=
mselflies. There was however a nest of Yellowjackets=3B I did not tarry!!<B=

&nbsp=3B<BR>
Will there be a bird migration this fall or will they just trickle through?=
 Time will tell.<BR>
Angus&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_befdd35d-888f-4dd0-a827-afbbbd919126_--