[NatureNS] Goldenrod Gall Fly

Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:53:07 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 8/22/2013 11:35 PM, Stephen R. Shaw wrote:

> I noticed a number of galls on goldenrod at Mt Uniacke recently. With a
> few dozen overwintered galls, it might be neat to try to repeat this
> here to see what variety emerges, though March is a bit extreme here for
> gall-snipping.  Any takers?  Has anyone looked at this locally, even at
> Science Fair level?  Maybe the Storeys know about this as a side effect
> of the cryo work?

* I've never heard them mention the Beetle - maybe it's only
cold-tolerant to Pennsylvania? Seeing what emerges from the galls in the
spring is worthwhile, if only

Here's the substance of Ken's reply about Eurostra showing up at a new
location -

"The reporting of Eurosta and Epiblema is totally spotty and anecdotal.
  The adult insects can only 'hop' in the air and so the distribution of
both insects has a FOUNDER EFFECT with heavily infested plots right next
to no-insects-ever. It is likely that they are distributed as far north
as the host plant and  have been present forever and just not seen
before in Panda Poop Nova Scotia or Upper BugFuck Ontario. In the
beginning when we did general articles we heard from Northern Ontario
WAY up about frozen snakes that they had thawed out and tons of insect
galls that they had not noticed before but  after reading about us in
"Nature for Kids" magazine they had cut them open, written to me about
it, and then they had gone back to their usual activities.  Cherchez the
distribution of their HOST goldenrod. They will follow that like turtles
follow 'degree days.'  If it is going north, THAT is what to look for."

I've looked for galls in northern Ontario, but the impediment to finding
a range limit has been my deficient Goldenrod species-level
identification skills.

fred.

--
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad