[NatureNS] Corrction/addition: Fw: Dec 2010 Populus windfalls

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 21:17:15 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_709D_01CEA046.23DA7F80

Dear All,                    Aug 23, 2013
    The first samples that I brought in included one that was much =
smaller than the rest (which somehow got lost later) and running an =
unpointed one through a Scolytid key (Bright 1976) led to Xyleborus and =
the obsevation that males are much smaller and seldom collected So this =
gave me an incentive to bring in a sample of wood and expose some =
chambers with tools more subtle than a pole axe.

    Better dimensions of two chambers were as follows, neither following =
a radius exactly; xylem diameter 17 cm:
Entrance/exit hole diameter; 1mm, 1mm
Xylem surface to chamber start; 5mm, 4mm
Chamber dimensions (maximum)/
Radial; 30mm, 33mm
Axial; 14mm, 15mm
Tangential; 1.5mm, 1.8mm

    These chamber were each packed with >60 beetles but some may have =
been just exoskeletons. Being intent on finding males (5 putative from 3 =
chanbers (the one I examined appears to be an exoskeleton) I just =
brushed larvae aside and did not record any ratios of pale beetles =
(recently eclosed) to dark or think to look for pupae.

    I think the beetle is Xyloborinus saxeseni (Ratzeburg) [Formerly =
Xyleborus saxeseni (Ratzeburg).

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

----- Original Message -----=20