[NatureNS] Caterpillar abundance NS and NA

Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 22:57:18 -0300
From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e0112cf10db090b04e4a7d735

Thanks for taking the time, Steve. Yes, a bit of a vague question, but
intentionally so. I  am working on an article that involves comparing peaks
in abundance of different temperate zone diptera and lepidoptera
(caterpillars) with timing of bird breeding stages.

Some literature suggests that, in general, there might be distinct peaks in
caterpillar abundance for forest-associated lepidoptera species
having deciduous vs coniferous host plants. And I am wondering whether
there are life history or ecological factors that would also lead to this
somewhat bimodal distribution of peak abundance ( if in fact it is a
documented phenomenon in North America).

Thanks for the ideas and I will definitely check the site you mention.

Cheers,
James

--
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia

--089e0112cf10db090b04e4a7d735

Thanks for taking the time, Steve. Yes, a bit of a vague question, but inte=
ntionally so. I =A0am=A0working on an article=A0that involves comparing pea=
ks in=A0abundance of different temperate zone diptera and lepidoptera (cate=
rpillars)=A0with timing of bird breeding stages.=A0<div>

stinct=A0peaks in caterpillar=A0<span></span>abundance=A0for forest-associa=
ted=A0lepidoptera species having=A0deciduous vs coniferous host plants. And=
 I am wondering whether there are life history or ecological=A0factors that=
 would also lead to this somewhat bimodal distribution of peak abundance ( =
if in fact it is a documented phenomenon in North America).=A0<span></span>=

kquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #cc=
c solid;padding-left:1ex">

 odd question. =A0Are you trying to tie it to bird abundance or migratory p=
eriod, the timing of which might be more rigidly (and unfavorably) fixed fo=
r bird migration than for insect emergence if the climate warms up, as I re=
call some have speculated? =A0=A0<div>

upon when their special food plant(s) starts to sprout, which is presumably=
 variable for different species plus weather-dependent. =A0For arboreal cat=
erpillars, there are no (or few) leaves on deciduous trees around here (Hal=
ifax) until about the third week in May, but in Washington DC (etc)=A0when =
we lived there, much=A0further south, things started to warm up in March; s=
ame or earlier in Vancouver. =A0As well, certain species have more than one=
 generation per year.=A0<div>

he on-line nicely revamped Butterflies of NS site, which besides images giv=
es the empirical flight period data actually observed for each species, but=
 also the inferred egg-laying and larval timing. =A0 Though apparently not =
usually measured directly, the latter may be quite accurate because the fli=
ght period of the adult is usually quite short, so the eggs obviously have =
to be laid before the end of that. =A0 You&#39;d have to go through it spec=
ies by species and compile an average histogram by week, if that&#39;s what=
 you&#39;re after. =A0=A0</div>

, but Jim Edsall or others might have some sources.</div><div>Steve (Halifa=

lockquote type=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr">or roughly June and August for Can=
ada?<div>cheers,=A0<