[NatureNS] Caterpillar abundance NS and NA

Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 14:50:21 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@DAL.CA>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

ada?&lt;div&gt;cheers,=A0&lt
Hi James,
Thanks for the details, interesting.  Following on from this, if you
are going after Diptera too, as you probably know, there are a very
large number of fly species out there, one guess putting them as
second only to beetles worldwide.  They are underwhelmingly known
partly because both lepidopterans and hymenopterans have been
preferred by collectors.  Many of the life cycles are not known, or
known only for one or few species in a family, and many live covert
lives out of sight, underground, in stems, etc. I know the locale and
flight period for a large empidid fly that I'm interested in, in the
very large genus Rhamphomyia that needs revision (>100 species, some
unnamed and undescribed).  Fortunately, experts in the group were able
to identify the species just from images, but the larval and pupal
life histories aren't known.

Why this note?  It just occurred to me that another source you could
try would be BugGuide.net, though the task would be much larger and
even more tedious to analyze than for local butterflies*.  Each image
of a specimen is accompanied by the photographer's name, but also by a
photo date and a location. You could get some idea of the flight time
of the adults from the average date if there are a number of photos
for a species, taken from a similar latitude (it's mostly adults).

The 'advanced' brachyceran family Tachinidae is one of the largest and
they pretty much exclusively parasitize other insects, often
lepidopterans, and because the fly will emerge for someone who
collected the moth caterpillar, the host is sometimes known: the
recent example of a couple of tachinids that parasitize singing
crickets, for instance.  So you could infer the start of the larval
period from the flight time of the adult fly in the photos.  Tachinids
might be a place to start.
Sounds like a lot of grunt work sifting through, though -- more like a
job for a summer student, for what's left of summer.
Regards,
Steve
*:-
http://novascotiabutterflies.ca/index.html