[NatureNS] Wasp nest; broken

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 21:05:48 -0300

Dear All,                        Aug 24, 2013
    Today at North Alton, while eating Blackberries, (after a few days of
warm dry weather they recovered and are reasonably large and sweet) I
noticed a Wasp nest about 25 cm high built about 5 cm above ground level
with the side torn out. The layer of hexagonal cells (all empty) was just to
one side but the cells were not noticably damaged.

    I doubt that a person would have done this to a nest where there would
be only two escape routes; up the road or down the road between tall dense
tangles of Blackberry. I would expect a carnivore to have mangled the cell
layer and am wondering if a Pileated Woodpecker would tear a nest apart to
get at possible grubs/adults. They are around and  the nest that disappered
last year was nearby.

    I have twice watched them feeding on the ground.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville