[NatureNS] re names for huckleberry -- was this year's blueberry

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 19:46:20 -0300

  even more famous Alexander von Humboldt, explorer
C.S. Kunth (d. 1850) was a German botanist who became Humboldt's assistant in Paris and
named many of the plants collected by Humboldt and Bonpland in the New World 1799-1804.
So the designation "HBK" on many species reflects the collection by the travellers and the
taxonomic work by Kunth. Humboldt was a ranking member of the scientific community in
Paris and so it is not surprising that one of the huckleberries was named for his friend J.-L.
Gay-Lussac.

On 26 Aug 2013 at 7:50, David & Alison Webster wrote:

> Hi Steve & All,
>  Fernald specifies the chemist L.J. (1778-1850; 'original'). The H
> of HBK is Friedrich Wilhelm
> Heinrich Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859).
>  Gaylussacia is New World; N & S America. But no doubt was named by
> HBK to honor J.L. G-L.
> Many New World plants and animals were described by Europeans.
> Yt, DW

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Dr Eric L. Mills
Dept. of Oceanography
Dalhousie University
1355 Oxford Street
PO Box 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2, CANADA
e.mills@dal.ca
http://oceanography.dal.ca/person/Emeriti/Eric_L._Mills.html
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ