[NatureNS] Wisteria sinensis in Annapolis Royal

From: bev wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:52:25 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

All,

Earlier this week, while driving along St. George Street, Annapolis Royal, on the section that lies between the intersections with Rte 201 and Cape Road, I noticed foliage that seemed unfamiliar.  Today, we stopped at the roadside to take a better look.  The vegetation turned out to be a huge mass of woody vines growing pretty much rampant on what appears to be a large vacant lot on the west side of the street. The plot of vines is extremely vigorous and jungle-like and looks to be aggressively growing over everything in its path.  I intend to return to take more photos and also estimate just how large an area is occupied by the vines.
 Larry broke off a section of vine and one of the big seed pods which has a velvety texture.  Here is a photo which Larry took of the leaves and a pod sitting on a standard letter size piece of paper.
 http://magickcanoe.com/2013/wist-1.jpg
Once home, Larry looked online and is of the opinion that it is probably Wisteria sinensis.   Is anyone familiar with this plant and can you confirm the ID?   We checked range maps and it looks as though it is a serious invasive in many U.S. states, but we couldn't find much in the way of references for Canada.  Does anyone know if this species has become a nuisance anywhere else in Nova Scotia?   Also, we came across a website for the Invasive Species Alliance of Nova Scotia.  There is a button saying "Report an Invasive Species", but it goes to a "Not Found" page, so isn't of much use.  You can visit this page to see for yourself.
http://www.invasivespeciesns.ca/
Does anyone know who is keeping track of invasive species here in Nova Scotia?  If this is the first escape of this species, this would be a good time to stamp on it has a chance to spread further.

bev wigney
Round Hill, NS (in summer)