[NatureNS] Another parasitic wasp- Pelecinid

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 19:57:17 -0300

Hi Steve & All,                        Aug 28, 2013
    I don't see any connection between more sensitive hearing and more
massive tibia. The larger tibia should if anything dampen the vibrations. If
hearing were critical and if enlarged tibia really did help, then why are
the other four tibia not enlarged ?

    In addition, the target larvae eat grass roots and the process of moving
forward in the soil and munching grass roots must make a good deal of noise.

    Thinking about this reminded me of an experience ~1942. I was weeding
our garden in the evening and when it got too dark to distinguish  weeds
from crop I just sat quietly for a few minutes and started hearing popping
sounds in the direction of the Radish row. This was a light sandy-loam (as I
learned much later) but there was still enough crust to resist seedling
emergence until the crust suddenly broke with a pop.

    We hear a lot about light pollution but we seldom see anything about
noise pollution; the aircraft grounding after 911 excepted. It would not be
possible to hear this slight noise now or detect it with a sensitive mike,
unless one were in a sound-proof room, because there is too much background
noise.

    So I wonder. In situations where hearing minute sounds is critical for
survival of some animal is it possible that excessive background noise puts
them at a disadvantage ?

    Turning now to the enlarged hind tibia, this looks to me like a
mechanism to avoid doing a slow-motion somersault when the very long abdomen
is thrust into (usually uncultivated) soil. Someone must have put one of
these in a cage over sod and observed how they drill. Meanwhile I will
assume that the enlarged hind tibia, with tarsal claws hooked to some grass
crown, enables effective downward thrust of the abdomen.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville